Linked Events

• SA Numeric Plate Auction: Sun, 06 Apr, 2008

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

869 = money & love forever, and it equals 5 = harmony

That's the plate to have out of that bunch.

Not with my money. 

I'm guessing some of these random numbers will go to someone for whom the number means something but I can't see serious money being achieved when the plates are so commonplace.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
869 got $71k last month over here.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Definitely make it an interesting comparison of the markets then - as a rough guide I price SA plates at 1/4 of Vic.

Offline CortinaD

Definitely make it an interesting comparison of the markets then - as a rough guide I price SA plates at 1/4 of Vic.

I hope its 1/8 or less.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I hope its 1/8 or less.

I think this might be the case for the higher 3-digit numbers - many of which were still available at $1900 up until a couple years ago.  I'm think more along the lines of the "established" numbers which have been privately owned and unavailable for some time - and "significant" numbers. 

For eg the random high 3-digits - say 700+ will be lucky to go $5k, but numbers which are 3 of a kind, below 300, or a significant number such as 360/911/430/996/etc will be "worth" up to 1/4 of what they would go for on the Vic market.

Just my thoughts - no particular basis in reality as usual.  :tilt:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think the numbers need to be special to you (birthday or something), a model number (360, 911 etc), an interesting sequence (4444 etc ) or a single digit (or maybe a double digit).  I wouldn't pay more than $1900 for 739 or 467 or another triple that doesn't mean anything.

I reckon it needs to give pleasure now as well as being a good investment - otherwise, why bother?  Anyone with the coin to buy a good number doesn't need the capital gain anyway.  They've already got money to waste.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I think the numbers need to be special to you (birthday or something), a model number (360, 911 etc), an interesting sequence (4444 etc ) or a single digit (or maybe a double digit).  I wouldn't pay more than $1900 for 739 or 467 or another triple that doesn't mean anything.

I reckon it needs to give pleasure now as well as being a good investment - otherwise, why bother?  Anyone with the coin to buy a good number doesn't need the capital gain anyway.  They've already got money to waste.

Just doing more fchat searching - seems it's mostly you and I who've been talking about them this whole time!

From Jan '06
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135515256#post135515256
Quote from: mhh
Yeah, my plan was to get a new plate made with 66666, dropping the hyphen. (you can get away with modifying historic plates in SA). The 66-666 plate is unallocated and available from Motor Reg - so it should be cheap.

Quote from: mhh
It is the best investment going. Unlike cars, they cost almost nothing to maintain, unlike art they can't be damaged and don't need to be insured, unlike shares you can use them. You are not buying the plate - you are buying the rights to the plate.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I'd expect the '8' series to go well especially if more chinese people attend. They wouldn't touch the 4444 number, in chinese it means DIE DIE DIE DIE!

I registered but no email from them confirming it...wonder if I just need to show up??