Linked Events

• SA Numeric Plate Auction: Sun, 06 Apr, 2008

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

All that has changed is that the list of unassigned numbers that they hold at North Tce is now not available between now (or from Jan 1 to be accurate) and the auction.  Some of the plates listed at the auction have been on a "do not sell" list for a while.  I know this because I have requested them.

I had 66.666 offered a couple of years ago for Sarah but she didn't want it.  The price was $2,200.  It'll go for a lot more now.

I've got my eye on a half a dozen or so, but none of the 3 digits as they don't have meaning or symmetry.  I'd like to grab a couple of plates although I'm a bit poorer today than I was yesterday.  :eek:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Here's an interesting fact - a few months ago I wrote to TSA saying I was looking for 3 specific plates 111-666, 222-555 and 333-222 as I have mobile numbers in the family with these series in them.  They said that they could not meet my request and added there would be an auction one day.

Check the list of plates offered...........

Obviously, they are sitting on thousands of plates but only putting a few out there.  I guess it is matter of maxing their return by not flooding the market in one hit.

Offline CortinaD

Here's an interesting fact - a few months ago I wrote to TSA saying I was looking for 3 specific plates 111-666, 222-555 and 333-222 as I have mobile numbers in the family with these series in them.  They said that they could not meet my request and added there would be an auction one day.

Check the list of plates offered...........

Obviously, they are sitting on thousands of plates but only putting a few out there.  I guess it is matter of maxing their return by not flooding the market in one hit.

I wonder if after the auction they will change the rules back to what they were at they end of last year.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I wonder if after the auction they will change the rules back to what they were at they end of last year.

I'd expect so.  You can still buy and sell plates between plate holders.  The only thing they have stopped is buying plates from TSA - which they obviously needed to do if they are to be offering them at auction.

Offline waz356

I'd expect so.  You can still buy and sell plates between plate holders.  The only thing they have stopped is buying plates from TSA - which they obviously needed to do if they are to be offering them at auction.

So you think the available 4, 5 and 6 digit plates that haven't been put aside will once again become available to the general market? I hope so but being government, if the auction is a success, then I fear that they will just hold on to them all and release a batch once or twice a year at auction only.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The best plates in that lot for that car would be the [ 111 666 ] or [ 66 666 ].  I'll be keeping an eye on the yahtzee plate online to see if it's like anything near my price range (unlikely :? )

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Was driving a Hyundai - everytime I wanted to wash the windows I had to turn left... I got really sick of doing laps of north adelaide.

Offline NickS

Newbie here - found this forum searching for Historics on google   :thumbsup: - I'm Nick - nice to meet you -

This paltry list is dismal to say the least.

I have quite a few historics now (2,3,4 and 6 digit) and there are 4 that I know are not allocated and I was told by Product Marketing at DTEI in March '07 that I had to hold off on purchasing them until this auction came up....

Not one of them is on the list at the Motor Show. A year of waiting - for this!

I have no doubt in my mind that this exercise is being held to test the market in terms of how much money people will be willing to pay for seemingly irrelevant plates; helping calculate prices for the others that they still have available that are very appealing.

Having said that - there is one plate in the list that I am interested in (I'd imagine most of the people reading this thread are interested in it too)...will go along for a bid or ten.

If anyone is interested in "123 456" - let me know and I can put you in touch with the owner (now living in Vic).  He is "open to offers". My last offer was $5k - which he declinded (well his daughter declined on his behalf). Personally $5k is rich for a 6 digit plate in SA - but it is a good one!