Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Just got this email... personally I don't think [ 0 ] is a $million dollar plate like a regular heritage single-digit one could be, probably more like the prices for a single character, maybe slightly more.  Will be interesting anyhoo.

Vicroads "0" number plate Tender to be held in 2008.

ManheimFowles and Vicroads would like to thank you for registering your interest in the upcoming "0" number plate tender.

Your chance to make history and become the owner of this exciting and prestigious number plate will be made available to you once we have authority from Vicroads to launch the sale process .

Please keep an eye on the ManheimFowles website for clarification of the opening and closing dates of the Tender. Email notifications will also be sent to all registered parties by ManheimFowles informing you of the tender dates.

We look forward to providing updates for your opportunity to participate in the tender and make history and  apologise for any delay in the sale of this exciting item. 

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Just got this email... personally I don't think [ 0 ] is a $million dollar plate like a regular heritage single-digit one could be, probably more like the prices for a single character, maybe slightly more.  Will be interesting anyhoo.

If it weren't (theoretically) available in the 1920s and 30s... then it ain't a heritage plate, IMHO. 

Yes, I'm interested to see whether it's going to sell or bomb. 

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline westralia

OK, it was a long time ago, but does Scott or anyone else know what happened to this plate?
Did it sell? And what sort of price did it achieve in '08?

"Vicroads "0" number plate Tender to be held in 2008.

ManheimFowles and Vicroads would like to thank you for registering your interest in the upcoming "0" number plate tender."

Andrew

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
OK, it was a long time ago, but does Scott or anyone else know what happened to this plate?
Did it sell? And what sort of price did it achieve in '08?

"Vicroads "0" number plate Tender to be held in 2008.

ManheimFowles and Vicroads would like to thank you for registering your interest in the upcoming "0" number plate tender."

Andrew

If memory serves me correctly that plate was involved in the court case where a group of well heeled heritage plate owners sued VICROADS over the release of enamel heritage plates that were never issued in period. VICROADS lost the case and were directed to not make any further releases of such plates.
The only way "0" could exist and be auctioned would be if it made it out before VICROADS lost the court case.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Didn't it get pulled from one of Vicroads auctions at some point in time, due to the reason above?

I think "I" was in the same boat.....

Offline westralia

That is an interesting story. Thank you for sharing, 360c.
As far as I know only QLD and WA have 0 plates, so I was surprised to read here about the VIC plate, because I had not heard about it.
I have heard people say they would rather have 2 than 0, but I would not agree.
Usual story; Single digit better than two or three.
...And the lower the better, and that eclipses any non-existent early history.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

As far as I know only QLD and WA have 0 plates, so I was surprised to read here about the VIC plate, because I had not heard about it.

I found the article in my files along with a copy of the court determination; but that's too long to post as it runs for about 20 pages.
Basically VICROADS held a "once in a lifetime investment auction" in 1984 where they sold off a lot of original Heritage plates in an auction. They claimed the plates had great investment value in the auction promotional material which one of the complainants had fortunately kept a copy of. The case brought against VICROADS was that the investment value of the original heritage plates was diminished substantially by VICROADS releasing plates in an almost identical style as the originals; but in a form that had never been released in period. An example would be #0 which was never previously issued. They also planned to release # 01, # 02 etc etc in the same enamel plated pressed steel style as the originals.

VICROADS lost the case which was the correct decision IMHO.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

Didn't it get pulled from one of Vicroads auctions at some point in time, due to the reason above?

I think "I" was in the same boat.....

Yes, that's my recollection too. Hence I am wondering how it could be on the market now or ever?

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

I agree, i think 0 would be cooler than 2.

that said, perhaps get 8,  and mount it sideways, that would be even cooler IMO LOL