Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
 :scratchchin:

For the first time since 1984, VicRoads will hold a Premium Number Plate Auction at the Dutton's Showroom in South Yarra on Thursday 6th March. Expecting to fetch record crowds and prices, VicRoads will unveil the new series number plate, the VSeries which has never before been released in Victoria. In addition to this they will also be auctioning high demand Heritage Plates and Signature Plates.

Coinciding with the Melbourne Motor Show, the event will see a total of 60 plates auctioned, including 20 of the most desirable plates for the VSeries, Heritage and Signature plates.

The VSeries plates are the most limited series to date ever, with only 999 plates in total. For this reason the rarity of the VSeries are expected to result in high bidding, in particular with the hero plates that include V2, V8, V10, V888 and V911.

Heritage Plates were the first ‏official' plates issued in Victoria through the Motor Registration branch in 1932. The popularity of Heritage Plates are due to their historic background. Bidders are looking for the opportunity to own a piece of the past, particularly popular with classic car collectors. Expected to attract the most interest in the series will be 237, the lowest combination of Heritage Plate, and 500.

Signature Plates was the first ever release of a two letter plate series. Extremely popular, they allow people to create their own personalised initials. The motivation for this could be the initials of the driver's name, or to match a car. Signature Plates of particular significance include AC, FJ, AA, HO, DB.9, GT.1 and 00.7, all of which will be included in the auction.

Alan Morecroft, VicRoads Custom Plates Manager commented, ‘VicRoads have held only one ‏big bang' plates auction back in 1984. The event sold 180 plates and generated more than $1.07 million. With significant interest in custom plates from plate collectors, car enthusiasts and collectors in general, an exclusive plate auction in 2008 seemed timely’.

VicRoads will set reserves on the hero plates. All revenue raised will go towards the funding of road safety and network access improvements.

Registration is required for the event. Register your interest on 1300 660 417 or email customplates@roads.vic.gov.au

thanks to goobs for heads up

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

All revenue raised will go towards the funding of road safety and network access improvements.

I hope they all sell for $1 or less each, as this just means speed cameras and expensive stupid CGI commercials.  :irked:

Offline Laminator

These are the same as the Q plates in Queensland aren't they?

My initial thoughts when I read V plates was these:

AussieExotics.com - Click here for hi-res

Thanks to Luke (98octane) :thumbsup:

https://aussieexotics.com/drivers/index-10105.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

These are the same as the Q plates in Queensland aren't they?

Similar, but yeah just another money grab.  Not sure how they'll be percieved, a good deal of heritage plate lovers will turn their nose up at them, but *someone* will buy them.

Click here for hi-res

Offline Laminator

Similar, but yeah just another money grab.  Not sure how they'll be percieved, a good deal of heritage plate lovers will turn their nose up at them, but *someone* will buy them.

If they got rid of the VIC on the top of the plates, they would look a bit cleaner. I'm sure someone will fork out big bucks for the lower numbers.

Didn't they go down pretty well in Queensland?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Now we just need Transport SA to get off its arse and auction the good plates they are holding.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Now we just need Transport SA to get off its arse and auction the good plates they are holding.

Actually Les said he had some insider info about those a while back but I don't think he's let on yet.  Will have to grill him.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I remember being told that the director of the rego dept went in one morning and said we are now accepting personal plates with 4 letters and 2 numbers, here are the first two and then handed the paperwork to the clerk with FORD 00 and another one which I don't know. They where for his Son and Daughter.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

If they got rid of the VIC on the top of the plates, they would look a bit cleaner. I'm sure someone will fork out big bucks for the lower numbers.

Didn't they go down pretty well in Queensland?

The Q plates in QLD are actually our heritage plates, we don't have just numbers.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I am actually registered for that auction. A couple of the numerical plates have peaked my interest. As well as the plate with my initials.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.