Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

The level of sophistication was about 1 for this scam.
Itís about as clever as the guys who claimed fuckloads of GST back when the tax first came in.
I call bullshit on the $165m dollar figure.

data matching would have caught them out once group certificates ( or whatever they are called these days) were to be issued to employees

Shame on the kid for putting his father in the position he's in

But also, I have little doubt that the father wasn't suspicious as creating such wealth so quickly with our tax regime isn't easy

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Steal truck loads, get caught with a ute full, do some time then happy days. This is what the accountant at Scott's Transport is alleged to have done.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
So what was the actual scam? I still can't find details.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

So what was the actual scam? I still can't find details.

They collected PAYG payments from large companies to pass on to the tax department, but kept some for themselves.
Why such a long face?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

They collected PAYG payments from large companies to pass on to the tax department, but kept some for themselves.

I don't know how he ever expected to get away with it, his father would be embarrassed at how stupid his offspring is.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
They scam went like this.

Many sole contractors (think IT guys and consultants etc) use payroll companies to manage tax, super and other compliance shit. They donít want to have the headfuck of dealing with an accountant, setting up entity and all that jazz.

Normally these payroll companies take a 2 -3% clip of the ticket for managing the whole process.

These guys charged nothing to do it! Warning signs already right. They claimed they made money selling financial product and health insurance.

If you are a small to medium size business and you employ people you have to remit PAYG for your employees to the tax office once a qtr. If your larger its once a month and if you are seriously big once a week.

It look's like they used a fuckload of companies to get around remitting the money to the tax office too frequently and also flying under the radar. Then they probably decided to just under remit. 

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I can't see how that could work. The ATO has computerised checks and balances in place in multiple places in the PAYG payment system. Some of those cross check against records unrelated to PAYG.

Offline Joel

I can't see how that could work. The ATO has computerised checks and balances in place in multiple places in the PAYG payment system. Some of those cross check against records unrelated to PAYG.

He obviously had an inside run on who/when & how checks were performed.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al

Systems are only as good as companies that declare. This scam has been around forever - usually the new company has a cousin or some other dupe as director, takes all payments, lodges no returns for year one and winds up / liquidates end of that year with all cash mysteriously gone and dupe director then bankrupts and is funded for the next 3 years from a share of stolen returns.

C'mon, do it!

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Systems are only as good as companies that declare. This scam has been around forever - usually the new company has a cousin or some other dupe as director, takes all payments, lodges no returns for year one and winds up / liquidates end of that year with all cash mysteriously gone and dupe director then bankrupts and is funded for the next 3 years from a share of stolen returns.
Rinse and repeate.