Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone on here happens to have a 3d printer, or know of anything about them.

I like to spend my down time doing odd little tinkering projects like building RC cars or building electronic's etc, however I thought perhaps my next little bit of a time eater could be getting a 3d printer, however most of the info i can find seems to be primarily based around people with a commercial bias to what ever they're promoting.

as such, if any of you have one and could share a bit of info about it would be great.

What I'd anticipate printing with it would probably be random things like wheels for my diecast cars, or driver figurines for my RC's etc.  It's primarily for the exercise of doing it and the fun of it that i'm looking.

Cheers

Looney

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Reprint me some replacements for my Ferrari sticky plastic parts!
C'mon, do it!

Offline qsc

Hi bud,

i've got a da vinci 1.0a 3D printer.

So far i can't say i'm overly impressed with it, it requires a fair bit of trial and error within the print settings to get the exact result you're after, i've purchased an upgraded model that'll arrive hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks. here's some of the pics of the quality of the prints.

Offline looney

Reprint me some replacements for my Ferrari sticky plastic parts!

thats actually the kind of random stuff i would enjoy doing.

Offline looney

Hi bud,

i've got a da vinci 1.0a 3D printer.

So far i can't say i'm overly impressed with it, it requires a fair bit of trial and error within the print settings to get the exact result you're after, i've purchased an upgraded model that'll arrive hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks. here's some of the pics of the quality of the prints.

wow, are those layered lines actually textured? or is that just the colour inconsistency of the filament?

what is the layer thickness on that printer? .6mm?

Offline qsc

wow, are those layered lines actually textured? or is that just the colour inconsistency of the filament?

what is the layer thickness on that printer? .6mm?

nope not textured at all, it's pretty shocking actually.

here's all the specs

http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Product/da-Vinci-1.0

hopefully when the new one arrives that will be much better than this.

Offline a.taylor

A friend has one of the filament extrusion based printers. They make 3D parts but accuracy is not a strong point and the lines you have noted don't look great. My feeling is that they are really for people who are interested in playing with 3D printing rather than people interested in using it as a tool.

I've used this (http://3dprint-au.com/) mob to get the attached parts printed 'online' Accuracy is excellent and any lines are mostly visual. These are brushless motor mounts, not yet tested for strength, but assembled as expected with no modifications.

If I was to purchase one I would be looking at the Form1, top end of the consumer market in both price and quality.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

This is how the smart phone threads started all those years ago.

Offline pku

I have one at work that has "printed" a functioning bearing complete with the "balls". No idea how, or if anyone had to glue bits together (must pay more attention other than the machine and materials are expensive). It has been great for R&D purposes but have also managed to outsource quite a bit of "printing" for other Tassie companies.

Will look at what it is tomorrow

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Looney, you are best to learn to draw in 3D and send the file to a printing company.  (Just as much fun, at 45 yo I taught myself to draw in 3D)  There are many companies that offer a printing surface.  To do anything decent you need a good machine and they start at around $25k.  You can get a lot of parts printed for that!

I looked at buying one for R&D but it was just not worth the expense for the amount of printing I would be doing at this point in time.  And that only had a print area 5" x 5" x 5".  Also there are so many different materials you can use.