Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone on here happens to have a 3d printer, or know of anything about them.

I like to spend my down time doing odd little tinkering projects like building RC cars or building electronic's etc, however I thought perhaps my next little bit of a time eater could be getting a 3d printer, however most of the info i can find seems to be primarily based around people with a commercial bias to what ever they're promoting.

as such, if any of you have one and could share a bit of info about it would be great.

What I'd anticipate printing with it would probably be random things like wheels for my diecast cars, or driver figurines for my RC's etc.  It's primarily for the exercise of doing it and the fun of it that i'm looking.

Cheers

Looney
Yes, I have an Up Plus 3d printer, from 3D printing systems. Google it. It's a filament type. Bought it for the same reasons you mentioned. Fun toy, but still a toy. After a bit of a steep learning curve you can get some pretty good results. Done the ball race print and a few bits for quad copters. If you want something good, use a printing bureau.

Offline a.taylor

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Reprint me some replacements for my Ferrari sticky plastic parts!

Tea tree oil fixes that problem, I had every switch in the 575 done at work, took about a day's labour for a painter/ panel beater to carefully do each switch and use a cotton bud.....it works

or if the switch is accessible try coca cola by soaking the switch in it and use contact cleaner afterwards to the electric bits
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
thanks for all the feedback guys,

I was thinking perhaps going to a place that does the printing for me may in turn be the most sensible option. perhaps I'll give that a go before I bother spending money on my own, which would likely not yield great results at this stage anyway.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
thanks for all the feedback guys,

I was thinking perhaps going to a place that does the printing for me may in turn be the most sensible option. perhaps I'll give that a go before I bother spending money on my own, which would likely not yield great results at this stage anyway.

This is all you need. The finished quality was excellent as can be seen in the pics and is probably exactly what you want for quite a small price.
http://aussieexotics.com/forum/gadgets-and-technology/3d-printing-what-will-they-think-of-next-8052.10.html

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Tea tree oil fixes that problem, I had every switch in the 575 done at work, took about a day's labour for a painter/ panel beater to carefully do each switch and use a cotton bud.....it works

or if the switch is accessible try coca cola by soaking the switch in it and use contact cleaner afterwards to the electric bits

Thanks mate.
C'mon, do it!

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
You're a fellow flyer?
Yes currently a x350 pro. But eyeing off off an inspire 1. Been wasting money on rc stuff since high school.

Offline jamesatfish

I'm in the process of upgrading to our 3rd MakerBot 3D printer.

We started with the Cupcake (a build-it-yourself printer assembled from laser cut plywood), and for the last few years we've been running the Replicator 2.

I rely on the technology pretty heavily these days across a couple of businesses.  For our digital vehicle instrumentation company we 3D print prototypes for display fascias to test fit LCD screens into dash clusters, where the parts we print are just for fitment only and not final production items.  We send the 3D files off to outsourced 3D printers with more expensive equipment for the final parts.

For my wife's curtain shop however we do print production components - typically brackets and fittings for blinds that are no longer available or for custom installs not supported by the standard manufacturer's components.  Cosmetically they don't need to be a perfect finish, but they're structurally sound and that's all they really need.

The Replicator 2 has been fairly reliable - we had to upgrade the build platform and extruder from the standard items but now that we've got it sorted it'll happily perform 5+ hour prints without missing a beat.

We're upgrading to the 5th generation Replicator Z18, which is Makerbot's physically biggest 3D printer.  The latest generation uses WiFi for printing rather than our current sneakernet arrangement (save build file to SD card, walk to printer, load card and print), and has smart extruders that pause the print process and alert you remotely when the filament jams/runs out (rather than our Rep2 which will just happily go through the rest of the print without actually extruding any plastic).  The main reason for upgrading though is the bigger build platform - our Rep2 is just not wide enough to print a full dash cluster fascia for most Euro cars.

Offline a.taylor

Yes currently a x350 pro. But eyeing off off an inspire 1. Been wasting money on rc stuff since high school.

More a build it myself sort of approach over here. Just started flying an experimental tri-copter with 2x directly reward facing motors for thrust hence the 3D printed motor mounts. Chasing race/rally cars is the ultimate goal. This is the proof of concept.
What are you flying AMG?