Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I'm just flying a baby just so I can earn my wings.

The blade QX 180, but it's time to upgrade to a phantom or the like

Offline jamesatfish

I've got a 3D Robotics IRIS that we had purchased as part of a software development project last year (we built a proof-of-concept long range autopilot navigation system for one of our clients to pitch to a US State Sheriff's office).  It's an exceptionally sturdy quadcopter, as attested by the number of times we flew it into fences, trees and the ground during early testing - though the propellers are due for replacement again as they're the pieces that bear the brunt of any impact.

I only fly it occasionally these days, but it's biggest issue is the 5100mAh battery really isn't enough for decent flying time.  The specs claim a 16-22 minute flight time but in reality with a GoPro 3 on the front it only gets 10 minutes or so before the battery goes flat.

If you're getting into serious quadcopter flying you'd want to look for something that can handle a higher capacity battery - even the Phantom 2 is only a 5200mAh battery thought it is 20% lighter than the Iris which will make some difference to flight times.

Offline a.taylor

Sounds like you have your fingers in all sorts of interesting projects, what sort of business are you running?

Flight time has never been great, last I checked the longest hover time for a quad was about 45-50 minutes and that was a rig designed for the express purpose of staying in the air as long as possible. Not actually going any where.
Props are consumables in my mind, I've been through 10 or so just fault finding my new rig and learning how it flies.
I only get about 5-6 minutes fast flying on mine, weight is a killer and I'm carrying plenty of that with the extra motors.

I learnt with a Nano QX, great little thing, bounces of the walls.

Offline jamesatfish

I've been really lucky to have picked up business opportunities across a few interesting areas of late.  Currently I've got a mobile apps company (iOS / Android etc), the drone software stuff, a medical software company in the US and a relatively new business building digital dash clusters and LCD displays as retrofit kits for the vehicle aftermarket (the car hacking industry).  I also moonlight in the curtain & blind industry for my wife's company whilst she's on maternity leave - so plenty of variety and a lot of bloody long days.

We looked into alternate power sources for the IRIS to keep it flying for longer, and came close to installing a hydrogen fuel cell to complement the LiPo battery.  A few other people were having success with similar projects at around the same time (http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/hydrogen-fuel-cell-uav), but the next issue was that the brushless motors used in the IRIS couldn't handle continuous operation for much longer than the standard flight time and would overheat, which essentially forced you to the ground regardless of available power.

The nanny state laws here in Australia pretty much put an end to our flying out here, so the tech got shipped off to the US and I just buzz the IRIS around in the back yard every now and then.

Offline a.taylor

Very diverse fields :thumbsup:

Swapping multiple batteries is my answer to flight time. Its hardly a good one and you still have to come back to base every 5 minutes but means I can fly for a solid chunk of time. Interesting that the motors overheat, perhaps not enough air flow through them the way the arms are done. The little motors on mine are being run at fairly high constant load give how heavy it is relatively, they get warm but certainly don't get hot.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Joel

http://youtu.be/os5gfk3l5Qo

This is my mates work. He has so many drones, he is also just a boat mechanic not a photographer.

Offline hydie

http://youtu.be/os5gfk3l5Qo

This is my mates work. He has so many drones, he is also just a boat mechanic not a photographer.
That blew me away. Great story, great work, and some great documentation of it!  :eek:

Offline Joel

That blew me away. Great story, great work, and some great documentation of it!  :eek:

It's amazing the whole thing. Vanuatu is close to my heart and it was great to see a billionaire really helping rather then throwing money at a problem.

I will find the photo he sent me of his drone cupboard. Some pretty cool stuff in it.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

These things look like a heap of fun.  I was at a park today in Melbourne and this guy rocks up with one.  He puts head gear on and flys it.  It obviously has cameras.

He flew it at least 500m away and in behind trees.  Absolutely amazing.  I was waiting for it to crash into the lake but he didn't.  Hovered down to about 2 meters from the surface.  This was when it was out of his sight.

Are any of you guys doing this simulator type flight.

This is the only photo I could get but you can just see the headgear complete with antenna.