Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...amy had a disorder which unfortunately wasnt addressed.

Well, they tried, but she said no no no.

I've had to give up on people I've deemed as a lost cause, it hurts but after a while you realise that whilst you can support someone, you can't really help them unless they're putting in effort to help themselves. 

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Amy was an extrememly talented person who seems not to have been able to cope with the rigours of fame and the music industry.  They all wanted to make money from her and left her in pieces, now she is gone they will continue to make money out of her.

I live  avery private life, a small chosen circle of friends , though I deal with a lot of the public, out of office hours I choose a quiet but full social life.  If I were thrust into the public arena at the same level as Amy I think I would have trouble dealing with it all as well -  and I have a well controlled ( controlling?) personality.

Lets not forget the public breakdown related to fame that Lady gaga displayed - what of she had an addictive personality

Lady Di also displayed the stresses of public life.

Lets be grateful for what we have, and best not to throw stones at what we dont understand

Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
My opinion on this isn't cut and dried one way or another.  I've been involved in methadone programs etc...(not as a patient  :p _) in my previous career and have also seen the various approaches taken by prescribers (incl. switching them to other addictive substances like benzos) - all of which are  up for debate themselves.

But in terms of who gets my sympathy - it's very much a case by case.   I can relate to a kid who's born into an awful family situation and really doesn't know any happiness from day 1 and ends up on the street and in with the wrong crowd.  That was my sister , who fortunately woke up to herself (with a bit of help) before going down the path of hard drugs.  But knowing what I know about her childhood I couldn't have blamed her given her situation and relative immaturity.  Me .........I went the opposite path and decided to stick it up whoever up there wanted to fuck up my life and worked feverishly to achieve something.   

Contrast the story of someone born into a hellish childhood with some rich kid , spoilt brat of 18-20yo who wants for nothing , including the love of his parents, is mentally stable and decides he's gonna shoot up some heroin so he can feel like a rock star and be "cool".  I have some sympathy for the effects of peer pressure but once you're past a certain age and have a decent life/family , then much or all of my sympathy is lost and I'd agree with ferrarifixer.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to help get someone back on the straight and narrow who wants my help - by all means.   But to suggest a kid like this has an illness and his death is the result of a disease is like saying some base jumper whose parachute didn't open died of a disease called "thrill seeking."

There's so much grey in this area I really thought twice before posting - it's so hard to generalise.  I just wanted to make the point that I can certainly see both points of view and ferrarifixer's argument isn't without merit in some cases.  There is plenty of addiction out there that is nothing more than pure stupidity - those people only regain some respect once they make a fair dinkum effort to turn things around.

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
My opinion on this isn't cut and dried one way or another.  I've been involved in methadone programs etc...(not as a patient  :p _) in my previous career and have also seen the various approaches taken by prescribers (incl. switching them to other addictive sunstances like benzos) - all of which are  up for debate themselves.

But in terms of who gets my sympathy - it's very much a case by case.   I can relate to a kid who's born into an awful family situation and really doesn't know any happiness from day 1 and ends up on the street and in with the wrong crowd.  That was my sister , who fortunately woke up to herself (with a bit of help) before going down the path of hard drugs.  But knowing what I know about her childhood I couldn't have blamed her given her situation and relative immaturity.  Me .........I went the opposite path and decided to stick it up whoever up there wanted to fuck up my life and worked feverishly to achieve something.   

Contrast the story of someone born into a hellish childhood with some rich kid , spoilt brat of 18-20yo who wants for nothing , including the love of his parents, is mentally stable and decides he's gonna shoot up some heroin so he can feel like a rock star and be "cool".  I have some sympathy for the effects of peer pressure but once you're past a certain age and have a decent life/family , then much or all of my sympathy is lost and I'd agree with ferrarifixer.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to help get someone back on the straight and narrow who wants my help - by all means.   But to suggest a kid like this has an illness and his death is the result of a disease is like saying some base jumper whose parachute didn't open died of a disease called "thrill seeking."

There's so much grey in this area I really thought twice before posting - it's so hard to generalise.  I just wanted to make the point that I can certainly see both points of view and ferrarifixer's argument isn't without merit in some cases.  There is plenty of addiction out there that is nothing more than pure stupidity - those people only regain some respect once they make a fair dinkum effort to turn things around.

I work in the Medical field...addiction management is looked at in the vein of  disease management, and or mental illness....dependent upon prognosis....

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I work in the Medical field....its classified as disease......

Interesting summary via Wikipedia:

Death due to disease is called death by natural causes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease

Offline 986986

Interesting summary via Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease

dependent upon the type of disease, ........... i validated my previous statement was on the road!.i got cut off with my statement disease management not prognosis of death

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I am 100% with FF here. I feel very strongly about this - if you are an addict of anything and you become that because you can't handle life, the world is better without you - natural selection.

ZERO sympathy here - if you defend addicts, you are defending weak mindness - as soon as someone is addicted to anything (legal or illegal) and their addiction impacts onto others, fuck them. They dont deserve to be alive. And to defend someone because they are talented or famous - please - you are defending some weak minded iditos that threw away their good fortune because they were too weak minded to handle it.

Good ridence as far as I am concerned. I only feel sorry (deeply) for their families.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I am 100% with FF here. I feel very strongly about this - if you are an addict of anything and you become that because you can't handle life, the world is better without you - natural selection.

ZERO sympathy here - if you defend addicts, you are defending weak mindness - as soon as someone is addicted to anything (legal or illegal) and their addiction impacts onto others, fuck them. They dont deserve to be alive. And to defend someone because they are talented or famous - please - you are defending some weak minded iditos that threw away their good fortune because they were too weak minded to handle it.

Good ridence as far as I am concerned. I only feel sorry (deeply) for their families.

and if the addict just happens to be your child?

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass

and if the addict just happens to be your child?

It's all in the parenting.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline 986986

It's all in the parenting.

is it? - so thats the medical proof  is it.........therefore I guess thats the same for a child being gay or not as well.....its all in the parenting

Oh and therefore ...dont feel sorry for the Parents by your view its all there fault in the first place then!