Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

In case you were wondering - From Crikey -

Apple’s brief, almost content-free announcement that Jobs, their chair and CEO, has gone on medical leave should come as no real surprise. Jobs is a sick man, as has been known since the August 2004 revelation that he had been diagnosed with islet cell neuroendocrine, a rare form of cancer of the pancreas.

Offline CortinaD

In case you were wondering - From Crikey -

He looks wasted - poor guy.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
poor bugger
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
need to state at first, its sad that he has such a serious illness, and he is a genius, perhaps his genius as a CEO and marketing whiz are his biggest triumph

however

If you were a director or serious shareholder in apple
How concerned would you be for the share price should he die?
Generally seccession plans are a big part of any large organisation, but in apples case the company is hugely over valued by any normal measure (I am no market expert).
The strength of apple would seem to be almost entirely because Steve is revered as a god like figure amongst the company and the customers.
I would be worried that if I were holding stock, the price would take a severe hit should he die, it wouldnt take much to start a chain reaction sell off

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

They have their plans all bedded down for a year or 2 in advance and I don't think Jobs would neglect secession planning, it would have a short term negative share price effect though.

Offline Paulstar

It didn't stop the share price dipping on announcement (iirc 6%) I think futurism raises a good point, even if Steve is not driving the technical innovations truck or the marketing car personally from his own genius in these later years (he could be, who knows) losing him will hurt the brand. He should be grooming his replacement and showcasing them to the media before he exits.

Offline CortinaD

It didn't stop the share price dipping on announcement (iirc 6%) I think futurism raises a good point, even if Steve is not driving the technical innovations truck or the marketing car personally from his own genius in these later years (he could be, who knows) losing him will hurt the brand. He should be grooming his replacement and showcasing them to the media before he exits.

They will body double him like they are with that korean fellow