Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Been taking more and more flights lately - today I did a FIFO to an outback mining town and was on the smallest airborne thing I've even been on... if you don't count Lamborghinis.

It was a 10-seater thingy, cabin is no more than 3.5 foot tall.

So anyhoo I can't believe how anxious I was on take-off, I was looking around, noticing I could actually see the pilot right in front of me trying to pedal this bird off the planet! :eek:

So once we're up all is good, it's a 1.5hr flight and I catch some z's.  I'm awoken violently when it feels like the plane is breakdancing in the sky!  I look out the windows (far too many for a little plane like this!) and notice that there's something resembling an airstrip catching up to the front window of the plane - only it's skinnier and shorter than what I'm used to seeing, that's probably not good. :\

The plane is bouncing and yaw'ing like crazy on the last 500 metres of approach, all I'm asking at this point is that the plane is pointing in a direction that will make my corpse look good when we crash.  To my massive surprise, the landing is almost unfelt - at least 10x smoother than the last 3 minutes of airborne travel we'd had!  Amazing! :confused:

So anyhoo, I do my job and get back on the plane out that afternoon...  Much more relaxed, guy behind me passes me a beer from the esky after we take off and all is merry.

Halfway through the flight home we punch through a cloud, it's a bit rough, we're all bouncing around and can't see a thing outside because of the cloud...  We come into a clear patch, and then see and big mother of a cloud that we hit... the plane shakes pretty violently for 15-20 seconds, but we're holding onto our beers pretty well.

Then all of a sudden the plane drops out of the sky like 10 metres and we're basically trying to stop our beers from hitting the ceiling, a few bounces and 3 seconds later it's almost over, but then the plane feels like it launches over a dukes-of-hazzard style jump... we "bottom out" (what it felt like!) and then seem to head toward Jupiter for a bit and then come plummetting back to earth!  In my periphery I see a red West End Draught tinnie of beer which has escaped the fortuitious grasp of it's master and is now hanging in the cabin seemingly weightless next to my head - the previous owner of the beverage flailing furiously like a one-armed wallpaper-hanger trying to catch it!!!!

FAIL!

Beer hits the floor with a thud that luckily many of us have bottoms to absorb.

Then we continue flying until we get home.

Was fun. :)

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
 :scratchchin:

Sounds like the 'Star Wars' ride at Disneyland.

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
:scratchchin:

Sounds like the 'Star Wars' ride at Disneyland.

Actually, almost exactly what I was thinking!  You know at the Royal Show you get that capsule that shows a rollercoaster or something on a screen and bounces around...  it was exactly like that, except you had windows everywhere and could see your actual doom in a non-Top-Gun-like flat spin.

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Flying is fun. :) Back when I was a little tacker, we used to have our own plane. Little Piper Cherokee 4 seater... Great fun. Dad is actually building a plane soon... Starts next year... :o
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Fun fun fun.

My sister lives in SE Asia, and she tells me this is the norm.  Except make the runway all dirt, and add a bunch of chickens and/or goats to the passenger list, and subtract the beer. :scared:

Offline S4Simon

Some neat shots of yesterdays Lancaster Flyover - pity they didn't show more on the 9 news tonight.  Looked uber cool.

Rich is better

Offline S4Simon

New boss called me into his office yesterday and asked, what am I doing right now ??

Half an hour later we were up in his plane.  Bugger of a way to spend the arvo.

Half way thru the flight he started to toss the thing around, and I realised that I was no stunt pilot.  The forces during tight turns really mess with your brain.

Rich is better

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
COOL!!!!

yeah, anything sustained more than 2 or 3 G for the average guy gets a bit squiffy.... and you may have seen 5 or more???

I've seen 8 in a glider... that was hairy.. the wings bend up about 8 feet at the tips when you pull out a loop!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

My father was in the RAAF
My brother used to fly
his son, my nephew is a Qantas Captain, his son flies, he's 17, he was named after one of his uncles who flew for Air France and was lost over the Atlantic during an air race years ago.
His cousin is a Captain with Emirates

I get vertigo standing on a chair to change a light globe :scratchchin:

Offline adam01

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Any one of them own a Masa?

Latest Discussions