Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Speaking of Little Creatures - the other night had some of their cider, "Best Cider" I believe it's called.

Very nice on a 40+ degree day. :yummy:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Hear, hear for a dear beer

WITH a price tag you would expect to find on a bottle of good champagne, it is clear Foster’s latest beer is meant to be sipped, not chugged.

The 2009 Crown Ambassador Reserve, sold in a 750-millilitre champagne-style bottle that is wax sealed, can be cellared for up to 10 years and is best enjoyed in a wine glass, the brewer says.

The beer, to be launched on Monday, costs $70 a bottle — more than four times the cost of a Crown Lager six-pack.

And despite slower economic conditions, Foster’s believes the limited edition vintage of 6000 bottles will sell out within three weeks.

The beer is one of the most expensive Australian beers available, but Crown master brewer John Cozens says the price tag reflects the value of the product.

‘‘If you compare it to a mainstream beer you would think, yes, this is a lot of money, but we are not setting out to offer someone a pot of beer or a bottle of new beer … this is something that is special,’’ Mr Cozens said. ‘‘If we had a bottle of wine from a small vineyard that was very handcrafted we wouldn’t be thinking twice about $70 a bottle for that.’’

Mr Cozens said the beer, like a fine wine, was designed to mature with age. If stored under 15 degrees, it could keep up to 10 years, but was probably best served within five years.

The beer’s alcohol content is 10 per cent. Mr Cozens said it had toffee and caramel undertones and there were traces of vanilla, fennel and curry leaf.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/hear-hear-for-a-dear-beer-20090731-e4j0.html

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Speaking of Little Creatures - the other night had some of their cider, "Best Cider" I believe it's called.

Very nice on a 40+ degree day. :yummy:

I know this is from a while ago, but it's called "Pipsqueak" :D

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Was drinking Shitloads of Pipsqueak when i was in Melbourne during that heatwave in January... But there are better Ciders out there than Pipsqueak
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

You guys have Magners/Bulmers Pear Cider yet? Pretty nice. Very tasty on a hot day.

Have been trying a few different beers latley.
Went for a case of Sol a few weeks ago. Good but not great.
Moved onto Brahma after that. Even better. Really liked it.
Then moved onto Cobra. Fantastic. Love it. Went back to Brahma after that and was suprised at how much better Cobra is... Didn't rate Brahma at all after that.
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

You guys have Magners/Bulmers Pear Cider yet? Pretty nice. Very tasty on a hot day.

Not that I know of - will look out for it once temps get over 35 again.

Then moved onto Cobra. Fantastic. Love it.

Never seen it in SA.  Whenever I go to a restaurant I try drinking the "local" beers - been quite a few good ones but none that stand out as something I'd order above my usual half-dozen favourites.

http://www.cobrabeer.com.au/home.htm

Offline Rat Boy

Never seen it in SA.  Whenever I go to a restaurant I try drinking the "local" beers - been quite a few good ones but none that stand out as something I'd order above my usual half-dozen favourites.

http://www.cobrabeer.com.au/home.htm

Don't really like it pintwise but bottled... Its the best bottled beer I've ever had.  :thumbsup:
Cheers>>Jack

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Don't really like it pintwise but bottled... Its the best bottled beer I've ever had.  :thumbsup:

It's difficult to get legit Europoof beers here now - a few years ago most of them started brewing locally, it's funny that there was a sudden massive drop in price for a slab (down from $60-70 to $40-50), but the on-tap stuff remained the same.

So nowadays soooo many folks here drink Becks and Heineken and Stella etc, except they don't realise it's the soda-watery tasting crap from Victoria - most places now don't serve or stock the imported stuff, considering 99+% of the Europoof drinkers wouldn't notice the difference but are happy to pay 50+% over other domestics for it - why would they? :?

Offline Rat Boy

Is Stella known as wifebeater like it is here? Fuck it makes you violent....
Cheers>>Jack

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Is Stella known as wifebeater like it is here? Fuck it makes you violent....

To be honest Stella is nothing special, it's about on par with our local pale ales, serve it in a normal pint glass and it's meh, but stick it in those poofy gold-rimmed regal chalice jobbies and suddenly it's nectar!  Hey - even I know it's mediocre but when in those glasses I *love* it! :p

But no - it's not known as that here - it's too expensive for most people to get drunk on... a normal pint of domestic lager is about $5-6, a Stella is often $9-10 - even though it's usually the domestic version.