Offline 1q2w3e4r

I think there is a market for one.  It just needs to be done correctly and set the right community vibe.

L4P.com does this pretty well, the focus is broader than just exotics/supercars and encompases garages, home improvements (think garage journal), lifestyle (watches, travel, sports, events, photography, culinary etc).

I think that model would probably work better as you'd get a more diverse user group who while they may not all drive the same cars also share common interests wider than automotive. 

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Not worth the headache just for Australia.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Not worth the headache just for Australia.

It doesn't need to make a fortune to be worthwhile. Maybe just go head to head with AE and move the audience to the new site.

Offline Fil-Ski

It doesn't need to make a fortune to be worthwhile. Maybe just go head to head with AE and move the audience to the new site.

I'm sure if you started a new forum and stopped posting on AE then a good chunk of the audience would move.

Keep constantly posting stuff on the forum on a daily basis to get people engaged in the conversation.

If you wanted to be serious about it here is what I would do

Instead of just a forum do something similar to Pistonheads with some reviews, videos and classifieds.  Optimise the whole thing around YouTube and Facebook and use it to get people in.

Yourself and a number of other members here own or have access to most of the desirable cars on the market at the moment. Video reviews and well written content (maybe speak to Andrew Coles from AGR) will mean you start ranking rather quick and start to get traction.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

It's not the forums that get the traffic to AE it's the images.......

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The Lexus forum - you post a question it takes a week or 2 to get an answer, even the Holden forum is slow, I don't think there's enough audience.
What forums do get traffic ?

Shares.

www.hotcopper.com.au gets heaps.

Anything else ?

Offline Fil-Ski

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline hydie

L4P.com does this pretty well, the focus is broader than just exotics/supercars and encompases garages, home improvements (think garage journal), lifestyle (watches, travel, sports, events, photography, culinary etc).
L4P has gone downhill since they sold out to the same guys that Ash did.

All of the Australian based car forums are targeted at the modified vehicles.

Some of the biggest are
- hardtuned.net - started out as just nissansilvia.com, and this is where Loz absolutely smashed it. Then he decided to verge off into other markets - mazdatuned.net, eurotuned.net and I know for a fact alot of people didn't like it, so left.
- boostcruising.com.au - primarily based in QLD, had huge numbers when I was growing up, however most of the users were just young immature shits. McLeod the owner then saw the gap in the market with the classifieds and then tried to turn it into a more classifieds orientated site.
- jdmstyletuning.com - of course more orientated at the JDM market, users are primarily based in Sydney. Owner Justin Fox then went and started to build VWgolf.net.au
- ozbmw.com - I know nothing about this one but there doesn't seem to be much activity - I guess when someone needs some info or whatever they would just go to a europe based one where the userbase is massive, ie: m5board.com

As you can see the pattern seems to be that they are all modified vehicle type markets.

I know there is a Perth based forum, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

Offline headlock

• Drives: E46 M3
the mightycarmods forum is starting to take off a bit, and that's a very diverse mix of people - although all younger guys i would think

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/forum.php