Offline TomE

If you wanted to be serious about it here is what I would do

Instead of just a forum do something similar to Pistonheads with some reviews, videos and classifieds.  Optimise the whole thing around YouTube and Facebook and use it to get people in.

Yourself and a number of other members here own or have access to most of the desirable cars on the market at the moment. Video reviews and well written content (maybe speak to Andrew Coles from AGR) will mean you start ranking rather quick and start to get traction

Hire Ash

Fixed
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
That could be only hire Ash as well.... he's not into advertising. ;)

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
My two cents to get something launched to the masses is to start with a 'auto question engine' where people can respond and have answers voted up and down - with all questions organised in the right hierarchy of cars / types.

It'll then pickup traffic from average punters who are asking questions on their car, or their specific issues / ideas / plans / need for help.

As long as people can comment/discuss responses - it also fulfills most of what the forum does.

So its  https://answers.yahoo.com/   but specifically for cars, and with a tone that works for petrolheads.

If there's enough keen-ness for likeminded discussion the integrating a forum, personal blogs, personal garage, own service records etc etc functions would be easy enough in future...
C'mon, do it!

Offline Moneybags

Instead of coming up with a new forum, what if an interface was created that brought all the australia forums out there together.

Say I want to discuss Honda's I would scroll down to the honda section and have a choice to pop over onto Ozhonda, or clubitr or whatever have you. I would either expand the selection to see the sub-forums and then click to go to that forum.

I would already be logged in and would be able to make posts browse or research right away without having to log in again.

It could even have a topic list of hot topics from accross all the forums at the top, that you could browse and click on.

Like any of the other forums it's hard to predict the quality of members, but that's half the fun.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
 The idea is to build something that makes money so all the other forum owners will probably be against using them.

Offline Moneybags

The idea is to build something that makes money so all the other forum owners will probably be against using them.

Yes I understand that, but if you are bringing in traffic into your own site and then also diverting it in onto someone else, then won't that be of any benefit ?

You would have advertising on the main hub, and then also on whoever elses site it get's diverted onto. I guess it would depend on how it is pitched or placed to the other forum owners. But if you get a few on board, I imagine more would follow.

If it were me, I would be pitching it as "Whilst you won't lose any current members, you have potential to gain more traffice because other forum member who wouldn't have previously visited your site may see something of interest and pop over and check it out."

Offline hydie

Instead of coming up with a new forum, what if an interface was created that brought all the australia forums out there together.

Say I want to discuss Honda's I would scroll down to the honda section and have a choice to pop over onto Ozhonda, or clubitr or whatever have you. I would either expand the selection to see the sub-forums and then click to go to that forum.

I would already be logged in and would be able to make posts browse or research right away without having to log in again.

It could even have a topic list of hot topics from accross all the forums at the top, that you could browse and click on.

Like any of the other forums it's hard to predict the quality of members, but that's half the fun.
Why would they go to the 'main hub', when they can just go directly to their own site, which they are used to and have been doing for aslong as they have been registered.

And you're not benefiting yourself as the forum owner because you're not having the owners details on your database.

Offline Moneybags

I'm just throwing an idea out there, I don't know the technicalities of what makes a forum money.

They would go to the main hub to see the active threads accross the other forums, much like the way aussieexotics shows you what the latest threads are.

Offline Paulstar

If you were to create a software that merged and integrated with multiple forums and you want the forums to buy in and you want people to use you property IMHO you'd look at the classifieds threads. Merge the 'for sale parts' and 'for sale cars' from 20 x forums and suddenly you've got a product that's useful to Joe Bloggs also to the members of each respective forum as they've suddenly got the leg work done for them.

Now, how users from Forum A responds to a classified post from Forum B without both people being a member of the new product - that's beyond my technical knowledge to say - the best I could propose is a Forum A member joins and responds on a middleware platform which notifies forum B member who then joins and responds. In that way you get organic growth and you're possibly building a valuable classifieds site.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The idea is to build something that makes money ......

Correct.  I guess there isn't much wrong with AE although more could be be done with it and there are some good ideas in this thread.  If I was ever to start a forum, my first step would be to find someone who could do it all (build the site - with help if needed - and then run it, develop it and sell advertising), and then pay them a decent salary, plus a good share of the profits.  My role would be funding , oversight and strategy.  Of course, I would have moderator rights but that would be limited to banning people who posted that they had spotted a common or garden sports car but couldn't be bothered taking a pic of it.  No warnings.  :)