Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

how much to insure an average home/contents out there?
$300 buys a lot of beer and cigarettes.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Don't really know what the average would be. I pay around the $1k mark for House, contents and the Sheds.

So only guessing but maybe $300 - $400pa?????

I think in some areas you can't get insurance Mondy if I'm not mistaken.  Perhaps this may be the case for some of these people.  I have a friend in a high fire risk area and I'm sure he said he was unable to get insurance.  You may be able to clear this up.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I think in some areas you can't get insurance Mondy if I'm not mistaken.  Perhaps this may be the case for some of these people.  I have a friend in a high fire risk area and I'm sure he said he was unable to get insurance.  You may be able to clear this up.

that would make sense to me.

and mhh.... $300 does NOT buy a lot of beer and smokes!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I have spoken to a few different local people today and it seems that most did have insurance, in this area at least.

This local area has one of the lowest fire risk category's so insurance is not a problem. That is why the fire storms on the weekend have taken everybody by surprise.

As for high risk fire areas, it is hard to get insurance but not impossible. Some companies will insure you and some will flatly refuse.

I guess the reports that FF heard about in regards to people not having insurance would have been in the mountain areas that have been hit the hardest.   :confused: