Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
For xmas I got tickets to go see Billy Connolly in town.

Last night there was a tv show on abc2.. "shrink rap" where pam interviewed Billy, as a shrink... it was very interesting.

I've read "Bravemouth" and "Billy", both by Pamela, and they're great too.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

• Soap Dodger

Read the Dennis Hulme book "Memoirs of the bear", also read "Fast lady" about Joy rainey. Both were excellent and very interesting. I learnt lots I didn't know before.

Just finished the Jessica Watson "ellas pink lady", about her solo sail around the world, she's a great girl, inspiring and has given my tendency for faith in human nature a boost... there ARE good kids out there... it's just hard to find them. We met her too, at the tassie wooden boat festiavel we queued for 90 minutes to meet her and she signed the book etc.

Then we sat near/bumped into her in the airport when we left too... which was much better. The kids drew her some pictures while we all waited and she at least seemed very appreciative!

Not sure what to read next.. I've run out!

Birthday soon, so I'm after the new book I heard is to be released... "Shunt"... A new James Hunt biograpy... but I asked at the bookshop and they knew nothing about it... need to look it up.. google etc

• Soap Dodger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shunt-Story-James-Tom-Rubython/dp/0956565603

girl in the shop could learn a few things from Jessica Watson... if "I" can find it, it can't be that hard...  :doh:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Anyone else with Kindle on Android find it impossible to sync?

I buy books on Amazon, but they no longer just show up on Kindle unless I use the app to try and buy the book again, then it'll tell me I already own it. I've probably bought a dozen books that I've forgotten to read because of this - who knows.

Offline a.taylor

I'll give it a run this arvo and see whats what. I was disappointed Google books isn't available in Australia and forgot that there was kindle for android.

Offline a.taylor

Anyone else with Kindle on Android find it impossible to sync?

I buy books on Amazon, but they no longer just show up on Kindle unless I use the app to try and buy the book again, then it'll tell me I already own it. I've probably bought a dozen books that I've forgotten to read because of this - who knows.

No dramas for me. I had the 'send to my android tablet' option selected when I bought it from the Amazon website.  Opened kindle on the tablet and it started downloading the book.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

No dramas for me. I had the 'send to my android tablet' option selected when I bought it from the Amazon website.  Opened kindle on the tablet and it started downloading the book.

Mine used to as well, last few months though I have to attempt to buy the book on my Kindle app, no auto download.

The syncing of bookmarks works between devices though.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I've now also signed up to Audible.com - Amazon's audiobook arm. 

I keep running out of interesting podcasts to listen to, and am boooored with radio, so am now trying out the old books on tape thing.

My first is Catch 22, I never got around to reading it and always wanted to, 16 hours long, so should keep me occupied at the office and my walks for most of a week. :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I keep running out of interesting podcasts to listen to, and am boooored with radio, so am now trying out the old books on tape thing.

Ahhhh I'm already having trouble, 2 hours in and I find it too difficult to passively listen to and keep track of the context and characters, the narrator *is* using different voices for each character, but I didn't realise how distracting it would be to keep hearing stuff like:

"I don't know why I wanted crabapples in my cheeks." - Suchandsuch said.
"Well I can tell you it looks crazy." - Someone else said.

etc etc

With non-fiction articles it's relatively easy to just take in the information as it's given whilst you get on with other things, but trying to keep track of a story and characters and locations and motivations etc doesn't work so well. :?