Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
wow
ive tried to do this before without success
I always assumed sensis relied on being able to say that every household in australia gets the useless (to me) phone books

so I went to the site

www.directoryselect.com.au is currently undergoing site maintenance. Please try visiting again later.

If you have an urgent request to order more books or cancel a regular book delivery please call 1800 008 292 or email bookdelivery@sensis.com.au

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I am now off their list. Don't even use the copy in the office.

Offline hydie

I have been watching this industry very closely for about 4 years and about time they did this.

The 2010 Yellow Pages print directory was 2,620 pages. The 2011 editon 1,920 pages - hmmmm 700 pages worth of businesses are not there.
http://twitter.com/truelocal/status/31849019311390721

And of course, TrueLocals direct attack on the Yellow Pages. - http://www.yellowturningblue.com.au/

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I have been watching this industry very closely for about 4 years and about time they did this.
http://twitter.com/truelocal/status/31849019311390721

And of course, TrueLocals direct attack on the Yellow Pages. - http://www.yellowturningblue.com.au/

Sensis have had a monopoly on directory listings for a while but with the advent of the interweb, it is about time that they got a huge wake up call!! Crappy service and arrogant salespeople who do not return phone calls and yet get numerous directory listings wrong and adopt an "oh well!!!" attitude just do not warrant repeat business in my opinion! And their so called "gold" internet listings are the biggest waste of dosh!!! Most SEO companies can do much better jobs for much less!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline CortinaD

Sensis have had a monopoly on directory listings for a while but with the advent of the interweb, it is about time that they got a huge wake up call!! Crappy service and arrogant salespeople who do not return phone calls and yet get numerous directory listings wrong and adopt an "oh well!!!" attitude just do not warrant repeat business in my opinion! And their so called "gold" internet listings are the biggest waste of dosh!!! Most SEO companies can do much better jobs for much less!

They are good for us, return calls and email thru the listings etc before they firm them up so we have never had an error.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
They are good for us, return calls and email thru the listings etc before they firm them up so we have never had an error.
you must have a better rep/group of reps! We have been through 6 reps in 5 years!! Invariably 1 out of 4 large business listings gets stuffed up and at least 3 out 18 of our practitioner listings gets misspelt - then the to and fro-ing of emails commence! Last year, in spite of a several confirmation emails and even faxed confirmation, when the books came out - a phone number was transposed!!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

From Crikey -

1. Sensis hangs up on 120 workers as print directories collapse 
Crikey senior journalist Andrew Crook writes: 
SENSIS, TELSTRA 
Struggling Telstra subsidiary Sensis will make up to 120 staff redundant nationally following a disastrous profit result on Monday that has left the directories business reeling.

Crikey can reveal the company, which is yet to formally announce or tell staff of the layoffs, will offer some staff redeployment within Telstra. But many will go from a hit list of 30-40 staff in face-to-face sales, with the remaining layoffs to come from administration, marketing, HR and finance from offices in Melbourne and Sydney.

And the impact could spread further, with potentially hundreds of additional contractors and agency staff -- who work for less money than their Telstra counterparts despite being full-time -- due to be hived off after the news is made official this afternoon.

Last week Sensis saw earnings tumble 32.1% to $288 million for the second half of 2010, with the result 15% lower on an adjusted basis.

"Honestly, most people still don't know about it, they've just informed the two unions and Centrelink," one employee told Crikey.

They said that after the news began to percolate this afternoon, staff would be crestfallen: "I didn't see it coming, I course I'm disappointed at the communication strategy. The real thing is that these jobs are going and they shouldn't be. They're a very profitable company and this is an extremely disappointing decision."

The company is shifting its operations to telesales and outbound call centres, rather than employing staff to visit businesses in person. In another instance, a whole night-shift team will be told their services are no longer required.

A spokesperson for the Community and Public Sector Union confirmed the 120 amount: "It's pretty disappointing news for the people involved and we're providing advice and support for people affected by it.

"It's a result of structural change in that industry. The online business is expanding at a much more rapid pace than the print. The relatively good news is that Sensis is offering redeployment, even though there's no guarantee all staff will keep their jobs."

Sensis' General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Prue Deniz, said: "Our long-term growth strategy is evolving, to align with the way Australian business are supporting our products and services and they way consumers are searching for local business information. We've been working on this strategy for some time now. Print still remains a core factor of our business."

Deniz denies agency and contract staff are at risk.

Others disagree with Sensis' rosy outlook. The company has "run into a brick wall", as The Australian’s business columnist John Durie said last week, largely on the back of its unwanted hard copy directories. As Telstra admitted last week: "The reduction in performance on an adjusted basis is mainly due to the reduction in the revenue from traditional Yellow Pages print product."

Yellow Pages accounts for more than half of Sensis revenue but sustained an 18% drop in earnings. And the losses aren't being gained on the digital side -- online sales were up just 0.2%. Sensis boss Bruce Akhurst is due to brief the market on future plans in the coming weeks.

Crikey understands a proportion of Sensis' advertising strategy focuses on a "fear of loss" threat in which businesses are told they're at serious risk if they fail to purchase an ad in the Yellow Pages. A similar approach has also been used in many of the company's advertising strategies, which depict companies falling off the face of the earth.