Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Friday is the day I will ride 157 km through the Adelaide Hills for Ride for a Cure. Looking forward to the challenge but concerned how well I will cope.

Thanks to everyone who has made a donation. It currently stands at $1225.00 a lot of which has come from you guys, so for that I thank you.

If anyone would still like to make a tax deductible donation visit http://sa.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/peterarnold

The big hill tomorrow is Checkers Hill, it is a 20% climb which results in many riders having to dismount to push their bikes over the top. It is more than twice the climb of Willunga Hill. I expect I will be one of the many riders to pushing their bikes up.

Here is a video I found online of the climb when it was part of this day back in 2011.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCQ-kVdWfA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCQ-kVdWfA</a>

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

good luck tomorrow Peter

Hope the weather gods will be kind

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Did it!

I managed to complete the course, except the last 400 meters on Checkers Hill as I didn't want to crash when I could no longer pedal and had my feet still clipped in. I dismounted and walked the bike up the last bit along with lots of other riders.

My GPS track was 159.8 km at an average speed of 21.7 km/h and a maximum speed of 71.6 km/h. I climbed over 2.1 km over the length of the course. It took me 7 hours and 21 minutes to complete the ride.

After stopping at Mount Pleasant to replenish my water I got cramps in both my thighs when I started riding again. I felt that stopping would not make it stop so I kept ridding towards Tungkillo. It did go away but came back several more times but never as bad. When I got in to Charleston which had another water stop I wasn't game to risk it so I just kept going until the end in Campbelltown.

It was windy for most of the day with some light drizzle a few times. The drizzle was most welcome to help cool me down.

I was looking forward to coming down Gorge Road but with the head wind it wasn't as fast or easy as I had hoped. Guess that is a trade off for the good tail wind between Mount Pleasant and Williamstown where I was hitting over 30 km/h and not having to push hard.

There were almost 6,000 riders participating in the Bupa Challenge ride with the Ride for a reason accounting for around 400 of those.

The tally of my fundraising was $1,500 a lot of it came from you guys so I thank you again very much.

Will I do it again? I think I would.

Peter

Offline mtarone

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Offline F1V10

• Drives: V10 M5
  • Name: Mr HaHa

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

No wet lycra images from the light rain?

THANK YOU!   :) :) :)
C'mon, do it!