Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

These guys struggle on camera, but the topic is interesting, particularly when the manufacturer and forum owner talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcop3ErqoFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Btw, does AE have a place for industry discussions? Might be am idea...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I don't even have decent advertising options setup as yet, but have given the idea of micro-advertising some thought - eg pay per post for those (such as manufacturers) who don't want to get heavily involved. In the end though, this stuff is better managed by a 3rd party.

I still think we're a few years from companies really getting involved, happy to use AE as a testing ground, but not if it's too much effort for little payoff.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I don't even have decent advertising options setup as yet, but have given the idea of micro-advertising some thought - eg pay per post for those (such as manufacturers) who don't want to get heavily involved. In the end though, this stuff is better managed by a 3rd party.

I still think we're a few years from companies really getting involved, happy to use AE as a testing ground, but not if it's too much effort for little payoff.

Yeah, not suggesting you need to do anything but the brand-specific forums must represent an interesting challenge for the manufacturers. 

Gustav just sold M5board I read today.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Yeah, not suggesting you need to do anything but the brand-specific forums must represent an interesting challenge for the manufacturers. 

Gustav just sold M5board I read today.

With the SOPA stuff being considered I'd be more worried about tuckfards like Ferrari finding a way to shut AE down.

I said years ago that I don't understand why all the manufacturers don't already have their own forums, it's ridiculous, but good news for blokes like me.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
From my experience car companies and their marketing agencies are really struggling to find their place online beyond general advertising. Even social media isn't working well for them and more than a few brands are abandoning their social presence.

Forums seem to be too full-on for brands. There are too many forums out there to manage and as Clarkson would put it, too many adenoidal forum members who will scrutinise every last detail. I've seen forum admins invited to launches and reveals a handful of times, but usually not much else.

On the bright side, means there is a nice market gap for me. :D

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
I think it would be difficult for them. For example my company is undertaking analysis of the use of social media ie. Twitter, Linkedin, as they are concerned about who would have access to it and how the company would be represented. As you get the regular idiots on forums, they would have to rule it with an iron fist and that then can look bad as well. It would be a full-time job for something because if something up that was derogatory or controversy and it stayed up for others to see it, all hell could break loose

Offline dkabab

doesnt G2S do something like this anyway with all the various companies he manages online

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

From my experience car companies and their marketing agencies are really struggling to find their place online beyond general advertising. Even social media isn't working well for them and more than a few brands are abandoning their social presence.

Forums seem to be too full-on for brands. There are too many forums out there to manage and as Clarkson would put it, too many adenoidal forum members who will scrutinise every last detail. I've seen forum admins invited to launches and reveals a handful of times, but usually not much else.

On the bright side, means there is a nice market gap for me. :D

I agree about forums being a difficult issue, but not about there being too many of them. The active one-marque forums of any size for any brand you can count on one hand. Compare that to other media. The enthusiasts are a small subgroup of a car makers total market, but a significant and easily reached group nonetheless. When you consider the thought leadership potential of buyers who use forums, they can't be ignored.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I agree about forums being a difficult issue, but not about there being too many of them. The active one-marque forums of any size for any brand you can count on one hand. Compare that to other media. The enthusiasts are a small subgroup of a car makers total market, but a significant and easily reached group nonetheless. When you consider the thought leadership potential of buyers who use forums, they can't be ignored.

You're correct. There is an emerging and rapidly growing 'online PR' market - not well handled by the traditional players which is increasingly putting a 'comms analyst' into various forums, following social media and double checking on what has traditionally been 'media monitors' type coverage analysis to act as a 'proxy' for the brand.

This does scare the crap out of a lot of organisations as there isn't always time to consider the right response - forums especially can ignite in the time it takes to consider an issue.

I'd love Uber to play more in this area too - however when our senior guys have looked at it what we'd need to do is find a way to attract/retain/grow media and journalism resources, rather than technical.
C'mon, do it!