Offline shockresist

Hey everyone.

I bought a new audi q7 3-4 years ago, Car is well looked after and serviced and just under 40000kms.The 3 years warranty is finished and did not renew warranty.Now looks like i got major oil leak, possibly from rear main seal.

Even though im out of warranty do i have any rights regarding audi fixing the leak or am i left to fix the problem out of my pocket?

My mechanic advised me even if out of warranty you shouldnt be getting this leak at 40000km.

Any advice appreciated.

Online TomE

Hey everyone.

I bought a new audi q7 3-4 years ago, Car is well looked after and serviced and just under 40000kms.The 3 years warranty is finished and did not renew warranty.Now looks like i got major oil leak, possibly from rear main seal.

Even though im out of warranty do i have any rights regarding audi fixing the leak or am i left to fix the problem out of my pocket?

My mechanic advised me even if out of warranty you shouldnt be getting this leak at 40000km.

Any advice appreciated.

Have you spoken to Audi? what did they say?
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

If you have driven in any sandy conditions you may have picked up some sand in the Bell Housing which will find it's way in to the rear main seal. I have had this happen on 4WDs in the past. If they find any sand or dirt in there then you would not have a case against them.

Offline Cay 1

• Drives: Cayman R. VW GTI.
I have an SQ5 with a engine oil leak from the rear of the engine 60000ks, Audi are telling me its 40 plus hours labour plus parts = $10000 and they need the car for 2 weeks, or longer if parts have to come from Germany I'm ok just under 3 years, I think if you ask Audi they will make a goodwill gesture .
My leak is so small you cannot even see it on the floor, Audi picked it up at service, the engine has to come out and the engine  case has to be split

Offline shockresist

I have an SQ5 with a engine oil leak from the rear of the engine 60000ks, Audi are telling me its 40 plus hours labour plus parts = $10000 and they need the car for 2 weeks, or longer if parts have to come from Germany I'm ok just under 3 years, I think if you ask Audi they will make a goodwill gesture .
My leak is so small you cannot even see it on the floor, Audi picked it up at service, the engine has to come out and the engine  case has to be split

Ok the price sounds overboard.

Even with the audi q7 it cost fortune in ongoing costs, every 20k i need new brakes and tyres, and this is with sensible driving

Offline dkabab

ive seen the inside the head of a q5 with oil problems and it doesnt look pretty. cam lobes worn away and rough... apparently a lot of audis current engines are problematic. you would think a company so big could get it right... but i wonder how hamstrung the engineers are by emissions etc...

Offline shockresist

If you have driven in any sandy conditions you may have picked up some sand in the Bell Housing which will find it's way in to the rear main seal. I have had this happen on 4WDs in the past. If they find any sand or dirt in there then you would not have a case against them.

Interesting, i last drove on a sandy beach roughly 1.5 years ago, could this come back to bite me?

Offline dkabab

every 20k i need new brakes and tyres, and this is with sensible driving

switch off lane depature avoidance if it has it... it uses the brakes to steer the car straight.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/stop-oil-leak-seal-expander

This guys reputation is excellent..

if they quote you a fortune, put some in, fix the leak then trade her in for something new. :)

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Yet another reason to choose a Tesla - No oil  :D