Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey guys,

im going to put in some CCTV at home for security, both inside and outside.

just curious if anyone else here has done it, has any suggestions, or recommendations of places locally that sell good quality systems etc.

Cheers

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Hey guys,

just curious if anyone else here has done it, has any suggestions, or recommendations of places locally that sell good quality systems etc.

Cheers
steve Cooper from Intechsys installed cameras at my place, they work well. He also installed cbus, sometimes that has a mind of it's own

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
GC is not currently affected, but who knows what the next 4 days of rain will bring,

Scud lives on a hill i think. (do i have that right mate?)

Offline dkabab

Yeah hes on a hill, next to the river...

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Yeah hes on a hill, next to the river...
I'm at least 30 m above the river so I'm ok.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

I am no expert on this but have been running a system for 4 years with mixed results.
I have a 8 camera system on my office building.
7 are dome infra red cameras.
One is a large body external camera.
A Big HD that records everything with a time date function.
A UPS system in case the power is out.
It is web accessable.
It has allowed me to successfully prosecute two little arseholes who liked to write crap on my walls.
Two break-ins into other tenants were successfully captured. But because the Qld Police are three fifths fucking useless, and think Policing is hiding behind a tree with a speed gun, did nothing to follow up on an individual I still see in the area. This bogan was carrying a TV out of a coffee shop at 2.00am one morning.

:banghead:

The problem I have is all my outside security lights are Fluoro and that causes the cameras grief.
We found that out after the install. Its something to do with the speed the flicker at.... to the smart guys ...is that 60Mhz???
As cameras work on an Iris system they get freaked out by car headlights and surrounding neighbourhood lights.
A lot of the people in this business are full of shit, and I think used to sell Aluminium siding or saucepans door-to-door.
The cameras really take a whole series of still shots or a time interrupted movie rather than a lovely crisp movie.
They are also programmed to go to sleep if there is no activity.

Put really good cameras where your greatest risk is.

:thumbsup:

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Hey guys,

Cheers

my place has been wired up for CCTV and I'll be having control 4 how automation as the brains behind the unit.  The install should be complete and I should be in the place in about 4 weeks - so if you have any questions about my experience with it I'm happy to be of assistance

Offline Paulstar

Does your system have a smartphone app with it? My uncle can watch his cameras from his iPhone, i think that's pretty handy. Apart from that think about where you're premises is the weakest. At our old place it was pretty secure, the garage was the weakest point and that's where they entry occured and unfortunately that camera was shit and the person couldn't be identified.

When the person broke in, they walked past my car which had microwave sensor alarm system on it and the hazards flashed and that little flash was the best/clearest shot of the intruder. So it made me think, sensor lights mounted lower might be better? I'm not sure if it is or isn't but consider this when you install yours.

Also like you say these salesmen are just that - they sell the system and move on. I recommend (and I would if we get another system like this) verify how well the cameras work by having someone 'break in' or you 'break in' and see what the cameras pick up. We never really checked how that camera in the garage worked in the dark and that was a mistake.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
So, me not being a stealing lowlife thief kinda guy, I've put up a wireless video system at entry points.  Cameras are pretty well hidden as not one visitor notices them as they walk in.  My question is: Do lowlifes ring the doorbell to see who's in before finding a weak access point.  We almost always have a car out front.  BTW it's great for seeing what time my kids get home...
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better