Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Reckon I'm gunna enter this year. :scared:

Last time I did it was 10 years and 10 kg ago...  My team won though, but "winning" means "most improved"... :p  I was a great long-distance runner back then, but haven't done any for 3 or 4 years.

Just got the info sent out to us at work and they've changed the format now so you can do your run independently at any time between 630-1730.  It used to be you had to turn up as a team between a certain time - really not do-able now that I'm working just out of the city, but at least this way I can do my run then go home and shower before heading to the office.

Doesn't start until 6th August, and it's only once every fortnight until late October.  You can choose either 4.5km or 7km course - not sure on this yet.  Will probably walk 3/4 of it the first couple times anyhoo. :D

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Great idea.  I used to be a keen runner too.  My joints complain if I do it now.  :(

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

This starts tomorrow :scared:

Just got the first newsletter - one page has a list of previous winners. :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Righto - one thing I failed to realise was that the start/finish point is a 2.6km walk from home - then you do your 4.5km run - then it's another 2.6km walk home! :irked:  So today I'd already done 10km of walking/jogging by 9am. :faint:

I did much better than I expected... I was imagining I'd try to run - get 100m up the track and fall over wheezing. :p  I managed to jog for nearly the first half - probably almost 2km I guess, then I did the rest of it alternating with a few minutes each of walking and jogging.  Didn't kill me, still felt fine afterward - but walking 2 and a half k's home afterward is a bit tedious when I just want to have a shower and go to work (or back to bed).

I weighed in at 94.2kg this morning, not sure of the time I got - they'll tell us later - but I think it was between 35-40 minutes.  No idea what it should be, but I'm guessing a medium pace jog for the whole circuit would get it done in 25 mins or so.

Offline j15

I weighed in at 94.2kg this morning, not sure of the time I got - they'll tell us later - but I think it was between 35-40 minutes.  No idea what it should be, but I'm guessing a medium pace jog for the whole circuit would get it done in 25 mins or so.

Thats about right, i used to do 5km cross country runs in high school and i'd run those in about 20mins.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Man - legs are sore today! :(

hahaha....you must be approaching pensioner status!! (even though i can easily run 5km without getting sore)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

After a couple runs I'll be fine again, just haven't done anything other than upper body stuff for a couple years - but all up I did about 15km on these poor legs yesterday, that's more mileage than I've done in my cars in the last month!

The City-Bay is on in late September, that's 12km, I hope to be able to run nearly the whole way.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
After a couple runs I'll be fine again, just haven't done anything other than upper body stuff for a couple years

lifting a beer to your mouth?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht