Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Found this thread interesting. I haven't done any exercise for the last 5 years thinking that I am young etc. and to cut a long story short my doctor isn't to impressed with me as my cholesterol is up, blood pressure up (probably due to work over the last 3-4 months) and one of my cousins tells me that although our family history/genes are good with low b/p and no history of heart issues etc that I cannot cheat anymore and have to get active.

So let it be known I jogged 1km last night (technically 800m - walked the rest) I have ordered a heart rate monitor and gps app on the phone to track my progress :)

Do this Corpulent Cup thingy.  It's based on improving rather than being a good athlete - walk/jog the 4.5km the first couple times (35-40mins) and slowly get to the point where you can run the whole thing (20-25mins).  Starts again next month.

What GPS app did you get?  I use RunKeeper :thumbsup:

Outputs look like this: http://bit.ly/xywEI

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Corpulent Cup starts tomorrow :eek:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Corpulent Cup starts tomorrow :eek:

Righto - will try and aim for around 33 mins as an initial benchmark, and try to get down under 25mins by the end in a couple months... (started at 35 last year, ended up in high 27's but missed last couple of rounds)

Of course it's 2.6km *to* the start/finish, so by the time I get to work in a couple hours I'll have covered over 12km on foot :?

Offline dkabab

back in my peak fitness, i would do 4.5km in about 30mins... today i would probably walk 3kms of it.... :doh:

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
I've enlisted in the Corporate Cup this year (Flinders Uni circuit). This is a good lead up to the City - Bay event. Get onboard!

Good luck with the City circuit today.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

back in my peak fitness, i would do 4.5km in about 30mins...

Back in my peak fitness I used to do it in low 20's - can't remember if I ever got under that, probably not.  Our team won it in '97 or whatever.

Today I was aiming for 32-33 mins so just took a moderate pace, got to the end to look at the computer readout of my time and I thought it said 38 mins and I was like :(  but then I wiped the garlic sweat outta my eyes and realised it was actually 28 mins! :eek:

Here's the interactive map: http://bit.ly/Wdtjd

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I've enlisted in the Corporate Cup this year (Flinders Uni circuit). This is a good lead up to the City - Bay event. Get onboard!

Good luck :thumbsup:   How old/unfit are ya? :p

Offline calais

Good luck :thumbsup:   How old/unfit are ya? :p

34 years young  ;)

I ran a 22:10 in 2007 and my PB was set last year with 19:24... but I was struggling.

Not sure I can match this from day one this year but it will my target to beat by the time we get to run # 7.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I ran a 22:10 in 2007 and my PB was set last year with 19:24... but I was struggling.

Ok, way outta my league :faint:

I'll be happy to get under 25, and going by today's run I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with that.

What's the course like out in the sticks?  The Torrens course has a lot of up and down, there are 5 or 6 relatively steep bits that I don't run on for fear of injury/over-exertion, and probably a 1/4 of the course is poor terrain - eg "off-camber" (if you know what I mean) and bumps/pot-holey.

Offline calais

What's the course like out in the sticks?

It's boring... basically 6 laps of an oval. It makes for a comfortable surface being soft but the scenery doesn't change.