Offline blackr35

Not my experience.
Mine charged me $320.00 for a clean (45 mins with dental hygenist) and a blow through inspection..."yes you have teeth".
All very slick and ultra professional.
I pay and still come back time and again.
Do I think it is worth it...ummmm not sure - but I keep on paying.
I think I am just too lazy to shop around.
If they piss me off or fuck up a job then that may happen.
Would I go to Thailand or the Phillipines for major dental work.... I don't think so.
But I don't feel sorry for my Dentists wallet.

320/45minutes.
Dental hygienist - probably on 100/hr (salary, super, payroll tax)
Fixed costs - building/power/fit out/computers
Staff costs - reception/billing
Dental oversight - having everything overseen by a professional with 6 years of training, and many years of experience.

My recent car service took 1/2 day and cost $2300.
Yes it could be done cheaper - but would it be worth it?
Just look at surgery overseas...

Dental profiteering doesn't worry me a bit. What do Swan, Gillard et al cost per hour?

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2ZQ729Kvo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2ZQ729Kvo</a>

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I love that clip, there should be a Hall of Fame somewhere for gold like that..................................

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I think basic dental care should be covered same as medical, dental hygiene is terribly undervalued.

I have no issue with dental fees but the mixed messages you get from different practitioners is a bit alarming until you understand that these things are open to interpretation sometimes.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Asks 9 dentists how to treat a problem, and you will get at least 10 different responses....
Could be a few different problems that could cause that sort of pain.... Find someone whom you trust, and take their advice.

I just to go you... I get a frank opinion, and assurance of greatest care and attention. Quality of work not too shabby either :P

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I just to go you... I get a frank opinion, and assurance of greatest care and attention. Quality of work not too shabby either :P

And a free ride in a lambo with every clean  :thumbsup:

Offline app

Asks 9 dentists how to treat a problem, and you will get at least 10 different responses....
Could be a few different problems that could cause that sort of pain.... Find someone whom you trust, and take their advice.

What I didn't want to hear, but suspected was the case.

I do not mind forking out for a dentist, but like everything else, only if it's for quality work. However, I do think there is a lot of over servicing going on, rather than preventative dentistry.

You only have one set of teeth, why is it not treated this way?

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Tezza, with all the criticism of dentist fees, how would their net profit compare to yours?

I probably make more a year than most Dentists and I don't have to work in spit all day.

But I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. I don't see people worried about whether I make a buck or not.

:irked:

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
What I didn't want to hear, but suspected was the case.

I do not mind forking out for a dentist, but like everything else, only if it's for quality work. However, I do think there is a lot of over servicing going on, rather than preventative dentistry.

You only have one set of teeth, why is it not treated this way?
I would agree that over servicing occurs. Especially when the public, the government, the health funds, and other bodies all want to cut down the price of dentistry. Australia I feel is heading very quickly towards a dental health system which promotes cheap over quality. It wont take long before we are just like the NHS... And the problem is the public do not know what is quality work. They generally only know about whether it hurt or not, or they felt "happy" about their visit, or about price. My suggestion stands - find one you trust, and stick with him. Just like an accountant, lawyer etc....

One of the things I find sad about Australia, is that we tend to condemn our health care professionals for earning a reasonable income, and heaven forbid if they actually seem to be making a good profit. And yet we will celebrate the massive pay packets for sports stars and media personalities. I know plenty of Medicos and Dentists who are too afraid to show any trappings of wealth as they are worried about how they will be perceived by colleagues or patients. WTF????? I would be proud to know my knee surgeon races Porkers, or my GPs have fleets of nice cars. Maybe its the Asian in me?

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
;)  :thumbsup: