Who will win?

Liberal National coalition
16 (76.2%)
Labor
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I swear that if it wasn't for this fact we wouldn't have anyone willing to be a Polly...................

Just double their wage while theyre in the job. At the moment we're paying them for years of service theyre not doing.

And as Kerry Packer said, its not like theyre doing a good job with our taxes anyway.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just double their wage while theyre in the job. At the moment we're paying them for years of service theyre not doing.

And as Kerry Packer said, its not like theyre doing a good job with our taxes anyway.

You just reminded me of something Dodger posted a while back about happiness...........

Lesson 2: Don't complain about taxes
Denmark has been ranked as the EU's most expensive country to live in. Taxes are "cripplingly high" and yet people pay them "with pleasure". How do high taxes result in high levels of happiness?

Most people don't mind paying 50 per cent + taxes because there's a trust that the government will spend the money wisely - and trust that everyone else will also contribute their fair share.

A former Danish colleague took me aside one day and gave me a top tip when it came to winning over potential new friends here: "Don't bitch too much about the taxes!"

Because researchers have found that many Danes see the services they get in return (tax funded education; being paid to study after the age of 18; tax funded healthcare; 75 per cent subsidised childcare; 52 weeks parental leave etc.) and figure they're getting a fair deal. That living Danishly is worth it.

And they're proud of the country they're a part of and the safety net they're helping to maintain.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Labor's decision to cave in to the doctors will secure the win for them. A lot more people care about bulk billing than care about business taxes.

They say elections are lost, not won. The Libs are working hard to demonstrate the point.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

They say elections are lost, not won. The Libs are working hard to demonstrate the point.

And they are making it look easy.    :(

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

And they are making it look easy.    :(

Who would have thought Bill Shorten PM  :rolleyes:

I thought the world would end when Hawke got in but we've survived worse I guess.

Offline David B

Ok so I was bored and did a VERY SIMPLE spreadsheet.

11.1% of the working population are responsible for almost 50% of the tax paid!!!!

FARK - and the leftist arseholes know where to come to get $'s and push class warfare as these people generally wont vote for them.

Ok I'll bite Shack,

spreadsheet is only income tax not GST, as all good neo cons you ignore 61 Billion in taxes to show how hard done by the rich are; that said the  last I saw 47% of income tax is paid by top 10% so your spread sheet is full of wrong numbers but the outcomes are close. ( 11.9 million work full time not 16 million, average earnings is 80 K when taking into account overtime etc on a yearly basis and average tax paid is closer to 19K not 10K).

But in a search for the truth this leftist arsehole is going to look at the whole picture not your narrow view.

Lets account for gst shall we !  All taxes by quartile  left is poorest 20% right most is top 20% weekly earnings.

GST paid ($)                           48           48      60                   71            99                
Net Income ($)                   652           994      1,346          1,753       3,009        
GST Net income (%)             7.36    4.83         4.46           4.05            3.29        
Income tax/net income (%)    5.83        8.75       12.48          16.43        24.76   

So to read this table the poorest pay the highest amount in % of gst in terms of their income 7.36%.
The most wealthy 20% pay the least 3.29% of their incomes.   Funny how neocons never mention these numbers!!

So if I compare the top 20% the average total tax rate is 24.76% as a rate.
IF I Average the rest its 9.02% ie the middleclass and poor.

Now lets compare the average earnings of the top 20% and compare that to the rest.

top 20%    $3009  per week
The rest      $997 per week.

And now the final analysis we compare the average total tax loading verses the income earned $earnt per % tax rate.
top 20%  $3009 /24.7 = 121
the rest     997/9.02 = 110

Difference between top 20% and the rest (121-110)/110  = .1

SO theres an extra loading of tax against the top 20% of the most wealth individuals of 10%.

Another way to say it "the taxation is linear based on income but theres a 10% extra loading if your in the top 20% Wealthy group.

Seems pretty fair to me.

I believe this is a fair assesment of the true taxation of people in australia by incomes, if anyone thinks I have made some "mistake" in the numbers and assesment please go ahead and comment.

PS-
I wanted to find this data for top 10% but couldnt, source for above table is;
Source: GST paid from ABS Series 65370DO001-200910, Table 7, line 53; Taxes on Income from ABS Series 65370DO001-200910, Table 7, line 19; net Income from ABS Series 65370DO001-200910, Table 7, line 20.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline David B

David, what's your point?

Its a fair system if you look at it fairly.
If you want to completely ignore 61 billion in taxes then it looks like the wealthy are somehow hard done by.

They simply are not.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

how do you see it being a fair system when we pay a tremendous amount of tax to have the professional welfare recipients and generational unemployed see it all wasted.

IMHO it will be a fair system if centrelink is ever privatised and clamps down on all the cheats.

Here in SA we have damn high unemployment, yet I am advertising for extra staff and have very few applicants.  Perhaps people are happy receiving the dole, so should I be happy to be paying a shit load of tax.

it's not a fair system.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

IMHO it will be a fair system if centrelink is ever privatised and clamps down on all the cheats.

Now that's an interesting concept