Offline tasgirevik

• Drives: classic 911 = DD
Of the 20 to 30 elevator-related deaths each year, most of them are maintenance-related - for example, technicians leaning too far into the shaft or getting caught between moving parts, and most of the rest are attributed to easily avoidable accidents, such as people stepping blindly through doors that open into empty shafts or being strangled by scarves caught in the doors.

And...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymmwRYzbWkE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymmwRYzbWkE</a>

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I live in a highrise (for Adelaide :rolleyes: ) so elevators are my life, on Friday we were up to the 12th floor, then a massive *CRACK* noise boomed from above us, and the lift plummeted briefly - maybe 2 feet maybe 20 feet, in a stainless steel box we had no point of reference - then after bouncing and stabilising, after 30 secs it continued its journey and delivered us to my floor. (with us praying to every God we'd ever heard of)

Great, today's XKCD is about elevator maintenance. :?

http://xkcd.com/897/

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Great, today's XKCD is about elevator maintenance. :?

OK, so we know that at least one of the cables has gone............there could be more.

It may be down to the last one ya know!!!!!    :eek:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...up to the 12th floor, then a massive *CRACK* noise boomed from above us, and the lift plummeted briefly...

...The idea of jumping at the last minute seems futile...

Today on JJJ science Dr Karl helpfully and descriptively explained that in order to negate the effects of the land of a fall, you would have to be able to generate equal amount of energy yourself - which would have similar effects anyhoo. :?

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Now if you had a jetpack on...
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline j15

Today on JJJ science Dr Karl helpfully and descriptively explained that in order to negate the effects of the land of a fall, you would have to be able to generate equal amount of energy yourself - which would have similar effects anyhoo. :?

I work on the 9th level of an office building, and my desk is close to the elevators. A cable on one of them snapped today, and the sound of various elevator bits tumbling down the shaft is a bit ominous to say the least. Judging by the screams of the woman who plummeted a couple of floors down before the elevator settled itself, I don't think she has the best emergency instinct.

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ McLaren ] McLaren 720S shack Today at 06:03
[ Cars ] The cool other car photo thread cel Yesterday at 23:40
[ Cars ] Clem Smith's car collection to be auctioned Brenton Yesterday at 21:46
[ Off Topic ] Aussie Politics goober Yesterday at 14:50
[ Italian Cars ] Social Media Suprise!! Joey Yesterday at 13:08
[ Cars ] Amazing Cars For Sale tdc911 Yesterday at 11:28