Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Just saw this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6187080.stm

And realised I've been sitting "right" my whole life naturally whilst being told I'm doing it wrong (sounds familiar).

BTW, that's exactly how I'm sitting right now, and how I've got my setup at work. :thumbsup:

Every year or two we get a professional ergonomics something something in to audit us, and I end up just telling them to sod off because I seem to be the only person who's never experienced significant back or posture issues.

The usual retort is "oh yeah you're young it'll catch up with you" - but I'm not that young, I'm getting to mid-late 30's without a body issue, surely I can't be that genetically amazing that all these "wrong" things I'm doing don't affect me...

Offline dkabab

Sitting down all day stretches your hamstrings and gluts. Not good for you.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Sitting down all day stretches your hamstrings and gluts. Not good for you.

How does it do that?

Either way, lucky I only work three days a week. :D

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
timely topic for me
Despite being in the best physical fitness of my life, and right in the middle of what most would consider the healthy weight range, ive been getting lower back pain.
I do sit right, and where I work we have people who check posture and have the right chairs etc. But no amount of fancy chairs can cater for the 12 hours a day sitting thats required.
I do go for a minimum 1 hour walk in the business day too.

Anyways, this was getting worse, to the point where a coupe of times my right leg ached as well, which google told me was the sciatic nerve.
It was never a sudden shooting pain, just a sort of constant ache that got worse as the day went on, prodding and poking couldnt really identify a spot where the pain was specifically.
Most websites tell me I have spine cancer, or will need daily cortesone injections forever.
Others recommend physio and or chiro every week for the rest of your life.
None of this sounded appealing, so I took to youtube.

Theres lots of videos on youtube of people doing different stretches of the back and stomach.
I started doing these on Friday, twice a day 5 minutes each time, and despite running a fair bit this week, no back pain at all.

Im hopeful!

Offline cjay

Also timely for me, I have been slouching like the 3rd pic for years!

It may be OK for your back but your neck will be in a bad way, I just had the C5/6 disc replaced and a few of the others are in a bad way :(

And Futurism is right, it's amazing what a few lttle exercises will do for back pain :)

Offline mtarone

timely topic for me
Despite being in the best physical fitness of my life, and right in the middle of what most would consider the healthy weight range, ive been getting lower back pain.
I do sit right, and where I work we have people who check posture and have the right chairs etc. But no amount of fancy chairs can cater for the 12 hours a day sitting thats required.
I do go for a minimum 1 hour walk in the business day too.

Anyways, this was getting worse, to the point where a coupe of times my right leg ached as well, which google told me was the sciatic nerve.
It was never a sudden shooting pain, just a sort of constant ache that got worse as the day went on, prodding and poking couldnt really identify a spot where the pain was specifically.
Most websites tell me I have spine cancer, or will need daily cortesone injections forever.

Theres lots of videos on youtube of people doing different stretches of the back and stomach.
I started doing these on Friday, twice a day 5 minutes each time, and despite running a fair bit this week, no back pain at all.

Im hopeful!

Good ol Dr. Google.

If you are running a fair bit and not necessarily stretching afterwards your glutes might be tightening up and causing the lower back pain. Ive never subscribed to stretching prior to exercise, but afterwards has worked for me. For a while there  I was running 100+km weeks with no stretching and sure enough lower back started playing up. I started stretching after my runs and suddenly everything felt looser, I actually ran better with a more comfortable stride and a faster turnover.

Having said this, some people are just freaks, a few of my friends are fierce trainers running 150+ kays per week, then riding and swimming as well with little to no stretching or massage and they haven't had any injuries. I put this down to good genetics really, something we can't change unfortunately.

Here are some stretches that worked for me:.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

I have found a good sports massage to also be beneficial and usually get one quarterly. This is not they type of massage with scented candles and a happy ending though  :scratchchin: A good sports massage works the muscles hard and hurts  :scared: but I've always seen it as good maintenance.

Lastly, my trusty TP therapy kit is great too. This is a trigger point rolling kit for my legs/glutes etc. Good for daily use.

Good luck with the running, keep it up!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

timely topic for me

Would you like us all to dob in for a doctor for you ?
Self diagnosis from Google is not a smart move.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I'm on my feet nearly all day. Often fairly stationary, but usually walking about.

I used a pedometer for a while, I walk between 4 and 20 km a day, inside a workshop. usually more like 8 to 10.

About a month ago, I started getting a pain in my left foot.

I see a chiropractor regularly anyway as I used to get lower back pains, but I don't any more. I just see him for elective care.

But he said my foot pain could be plantar facciitis or "policemans heel"....

But already I've found simple things like wearing thicker socks, and tying my laces tighter have helped.....

It's all comes back to "everything in moderation".....

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Would you like us all to dob in for a doctor for you ?
Self diagnosis from Google is not a smart move.

I can message my paypal details if you like :)

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Ive never subscribed to stretching prior to exercise, but afterwards has worked for me. For a while there  I was running 100+km weeks with no stretching and sure enough lower back started playing up. I started stretching after my runs and suddenly everything felt looser, I actually ran better with a more comfortable stride and a faster turnover.

I have A LOT of experience with ultra marathon running. Never run one in my life but Ive driven the motor home for a one time world record holder who ran non stop around Australia. His record was just over 16,ooo km, minimum 40km a day all while doing fund raising for charity in towns along the way... Also did a run with an even better long distance runner that did Ayers Rock to Darwin, minimum 100kms a day, 20km at a time...

In the gym it was warm up on a bike or cross trainer then stretch, before doing weights. Finished with a warm down on a bike or cross trainer then finish with stretches.
On the runs it was warm up by running slowly for about 500m then stretch, warm down with easy last 1km then stretch.. Neither of them ever had a strain or back pain from running.. plenty of blistered feet and toenails falling off... they always ran in sponsored Asics Keyano's.