Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I have the domain name backchat.com.au would be good for social networking I think, no time to do it or think it through.

URLs mean almost bupkis.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

URLs mean almost bupkis.

You mean because everyone just googles?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

URLs mean almost bupkis.

Wrong, url's that are catchy or say what the sites about are gold.............if in the hands of the right person.

realestate.com.au is way ahead of domain.com.au despite domain being backed by Fairfax

Things like facebook didnt rely on the domain name, it was an idea that caught on, it's time had come much to the delight of the inventors.

A generic domain name is the key for everyone else.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
You mean because everyone just googles?

Searches and links sent to you are the biggest drivers of traffic, and repeat traffic comes from bookmarks etc.  Unless the URL is linked to an existing business/brand or is perfect for the situation, it doesn't matter what it is.

Offline Paulstar

That's the thing though, they don't appear in my news feed.

Some appear and some don't, its strange. For example the CarAdvice feed is updated automatically when a new article is posted on the website but it doesn't appear in my news feed. I know I haven't hidden it since I used to maintain it.

Is it possible that Facebook starts to automatically hide updates which it thinks you have lost interest in?

Yes, if your viewing certain pages or profiles more than others they will pop up in your feed more prominantly.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Searches and links sent to you are the biggest drivers of traffic, .

Google is the biggest driver of traffic to realestate.com.au but to get noticed a generic domain name is best.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Wrong, url's that are catchy or say what the sites about are gold.............if in the hands of the right person.

realestate.com.au is way ahead of domain.com.au despite domain being backed by Fairfax

Things like facebook didnt rely on the domain name, it was an idea that caught on, it's time had come much to the delight of the inventors.

A generic domain name is the key for everyone else.
I'll agree with that to an extent. If your URL contains the phrase that people are going to search for then more power to you. That is one of the reasons why CarAdvice took off - people literally searched for "car advice" when researching a new car.

But now that search engines are more sophisticated, with the right strategy you can rank well regardless of the URL. This also means that people don't pay ridiculous prices for generic URLs anymore, its easier just to register something more unique.

Also, realestate.com.au is ahead because it is backed by Simon Baker who is an Australian web genius. I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly. He also started RedBubble.com whose URL obviously has nothing to do with the site but is still a success because they have a great online strategy.

PS loving this conversation!

Offline Paulstar

Another case in point, Kogan. Kogan as a word has nothing to do with LCD tv's but since he gets so much press from picking on people and the press releases he does himself, extensive online marketing including facebook i'm sure he gets a ton of traffic.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Simon Baker was a News Ltd person and knows how to run a business, unlike Fairfax.

He never realised the power of the domain name he had was doing a lot of the work, I've met him a few times, nice guy, made his fortune from a generic domain name, maybe even he will admit that now.

P/S Baker was sacked.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
I don't deny that the domain name was definitely a big help, especially to kick-start the site, but I think the reason they have stayed ahead of the game is thanks to their innovation and strategy.

I've sat down with the people behind an Australian company who were bought out by RealEstate.com.au (very clever bunch of guys, now working on MotorShout.com) which has now become RealEstate Local Voices. Just goes to show that they try to stay on the ball and ahead of trends while Domain is always playing catch-up.