Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Am following this thread with interest as will be in Perth for 16th wedding anniversary and Robbie Williams concert! Booked Opus Restaurant based on tripadvisor reviews.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline TomE

Am following this thread with interest as will be in Perth for 16th wedding anniversary and Robbie Williams concert! Booked Opus Restaurant based on tripadvisor reviews.

We are going to his Melbourne concert for our 6th. :)
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline app

We were charged $35 a bottle in Sydney a few weeks back :eek:
Corckage for the BYO at our table was $350 alone.

One thing I've really noticed about Sydney is how large the mark up on wines are compared to Adelaide and even Melbourne.  It's really that large that a good wine in Adelaide is an average wine in Sydney.  I see Sydney tends to have extensive wine menus but I haven't seen many that impress me...

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
One thing I've really noticed about Sydney is how large the mark up on wines are compared to Adelaide and even Melbourne.  It's really that large that a good wine in Adelaide is an average wine in Sydney.  I see Sydney tends to have extensive wine menus but I haven't seen many that impress me...

We always BYO or don't bother. I refuse to pay 3 times the going rate for a bottle that I have at home and life's to short to drink the cheaper crap wines on the list. I'm happy to pay a reasonable corkage charge and drink really good wine from home.

We went to Tetsuya's again after last being there about 15 years ago. There were 6 adults who drank 10 BYO bottles. The bill was something like $400 a head and that was without buying a single drink there. Imagine what the bill would have been with 10 top bottles of wine :eek:

Oh and the food wasn't worth the bill FWIW. Melbourne really is the food capital of Australia :)

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Rockpool Melbourne ? I've never been there,

Nice place, but give the $150 200gm wagyu a miss, not worth it

Offline app

Oh and the food wasn't worth the bill FWIW. Melbourne really is the food capital of Australia :)

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised at how far Sydney had come on the dining scene when I went a few months ago compared to 5 years ago.  The Hemmes family are really getting into the fine and quality dining.  Felix and Mr Wongs were two examples I was really impressed with.  Certainly Melbourne has the reputation for the top dining, but I think Sydney offers more variety in quality dining now if not a similar level.

Maybe it's just me but I feel Melbourne has slowed down somewhat, and older and established.  Maybe it's was that advanced to begin with that it's hard to do better.

Last year I went to Moon Under Water when it was getting all the hype. It didn't do anything for me :?  While a different style of dining, I found Chin Chin absolutely amazing.

Offline cel

I'll be in Melbourne for 4 days next week and we've got Flower Drum and Vue de Monde on our list to visit, and maybe Attica

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I'll be in Melbourne for 4 days next week and we've got Flower Drum and Vue de Monde on our list to visit, and maybe Attica

:thumbsup:
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

Attica was superb the last time I was there

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

I went to Vue De Monde with 360C a few years back.  He can pick a good wine.   Food was very nice, we really enjoyed it.  Was 2k for the 4 of us from memory.