Offline dkabab

So the company I work for who will remain nameless has decided that we will need to scan our fingerprints to access the building and essentially clock on for the day. Apparently this will take place in a few months time.

At the moment we fill out a time sheet.

IMO this is something that is not ok and I will be refusing to comply with this system, but the question is, can it be enforced. Is my job on the line if I refuse to use the fingerprint scanning?

I work in a retail store, not MI6. Wtf?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've got no idea if it is legal but it's certainly unusual and a bad move from an employee engagement point of view.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I've got no idea if it is legal but it's certainly unusual and a bad move from an employee engagement point of view.

I'm interested in your views on this.

How different do you view it from the use of individual trackable door entry codes or magnetic access codes.

Offline dkabab

We already have fob cards to get in. The idea of all this is to combine entry with payroll etc...

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

We already have fob cards to get in. The idea of all this is to combine entry with payroll etc...

there's not doubt about that, but if you keep honest hours then there is no concern.

Should the finger print scanning be policy then I don't think you have a choice but to comply.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Having worked on the AWD project last year in secret areas I was use to having multiple different passes and codes to login anywhere.  This year I work for a civil / defence / security company.  Security seems just as strict with pass entry required to every area (x6) that I work in. Probably have to use my card 20-30 times a day.  The card is linked to me and so this would be pretty much like the fingerprint method.  Not real fussed as this is the way these companies work nowadays.  I can see where Dave is coming from re: retail store. Not sure what they're trying to capture as to why they can't use a simple access card option.

I'd be getting the aquadhere out and trying to replicate other people's fingerprints.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Dave, have they outsourced payroll?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Because of increased terrorism concerns ?

Offline dkabab

Maybe it's because we now sell drones.... Lol.

Yes payroll is through nellar I believe.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
What is your concern Dave?
This is very, very common now that the technology is cheap. Most time clock systems you buy now have this facility and it is relatively cheaply available on all sorts of security applications. Another variation is iris scans.

You have to remember  the employer can't  share this employee information  with anyone due to privacy regulations. It would take a court order to access it.

In my new development I plan to use this technology. If you have nothing to hide there shouldn't  be any concerns. Might even work in your favour if you are putting in more than the required hours. As an employer in retail for the last 30 years I have been ripped off in all sorts of cunning and imaginative ways. I'lll use every available security option to minimise the risk.

The employer can insist you comply BTW.

Latest Discussions