Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

So the company I work for who will remain nameless has decided that we will need to scan our fingerprints to access the building and essentially clock on for the day. Apparently this will take place in a few months time.

At the moment we fill out a time sheet.

IMO this is something that is not ok and I will be refusing to comply with this system, but the question is, can it be enforced. Is my job on the line if I refuse to use the fingerprint scanning?

I work in a retail store, not MI6. Wtf?
I haven't read the last 4 pages but I don't see an issue. all my staff finger scan and enter a code number, which makes it easy for payroll.
can't believe some still use time sheets. talk about time consuming. plus you can dodgey a time sheet with extra time.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I haven't read the last 4 pages but I don't see an issue. all my staff finger scan and enter a code number, which makes it easy for payroll.
can't believe some still use time sheets. talk about time consuming. plus you can dodgey a time sheet with extra time.

That would be time sheet fraud.......     :eek:

Offline dkabab

basically i get paid a salary. if i rock up 10mins late or 30 mins early, i get paid the same. the only thing that varies is the commission i earn.

why i have issues with fingerprint scanning....

1 - its the basic principle of it. big brother keeps getting more power and i don't like that.

2 - potential information leak (i don't care what laws are in place, people break them) i can reset a password, i can't change my prints.

3 - tin foil hat - whats to say the government don't have access to this data. (they usually operate above the law). lets say i was at a location and 15mins later a crime happens. they fingerprint the scene and find my prints. whats to say i don't become a suspect even though i had nothing to do with the crime.

i don't mind if others have no problems with giving out your prints.... everyone has their own opinion.

Offline a.taylor

I'm with you Dave. Biometrics are personal data and the use of them in this sort of situation should be a personal choice (e.g. for convenience) not a requirement. If it was for high security reasons then yes I would be more accepting of the use of biometrics but when it's just a basic ID an RFID card or the like should be an option.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I'm with you Dave. Biometrics are personal data and the use of them in this sort of situation should be a personal choice (e.g. for convenience) not a requirement. If it was for high security reasons then yes I would be more accepting of the use of biometrics but when it's just a basic ID an RFID card or the like should be an option.

They have your face mapped as well you know..........

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

What are your thoughts about putting GPS's in Company cars?????

I don't need them so I don't have a view on them.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

basically i get paid a salary. if i rock up 10mins late or 30 mins early, i get paid the same. the only thing that varies is the commission i earn.

why i have issues with fingerprint scanning....

1 - its the basic principle of it. big brother keeps getting more power and i don't like that.

2 - potential information leak (i don't care what laws are in place, people break them) i can reset a password, i can't change my prints.

3 - tin foil hat - whats to say the government don't have access to this data. (they usually operate above the law). lets say i was at a location and 15mins later a crime happens. they fingerprint the scene and find my prints. whats to say i don't become a suspect even though i had nothing to do with the crime.

i don't mind if others have no problems with giving out your prints.... everyone has their own opinion.

How many employees in the business?

Offline dkabab

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline dkabab

Aren't you employed by a franchisee?

Yes, so about 15-20 people, our entire store (5 franchises) about 70-90