Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
my cooking skills are ok but mostly extend to being able to swear as frequently as Gordon Ramsay.

lol.  I'm no mega-chef, but I suspect his skills are probably not born from his vocab...

While I'm ok in the kitchen, getting together with my wife meant I mostly shifted out of that role.  She's been getting into a few good cooking shows lately.  She's mentioned "Food Safari" a few times, so look for that torrent and get inspired. :thumbsup:

Yesterday was a good gender role cliche...  I was washing/polishing the car downstairs while she baked in the kitchen. How sad is that?

But ignoring stupid gender roles, my fav creation at the moment involves a slice of premium bacon pre-grilled on the bbq (not too crisp), placed inside the centre of a chicken breast (sliced horizontally down the middle) along with fresh hot chillies and tomoto sauce, then grilled on the bbq. :cool:

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Those scallops look overcooked  :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
So - I eat a lot of steak, and therefore a lot of steak toppings...  I love some of the sauces you can get at good restaurants, but am yet to find a single steak topping that I can buy off the shelf which is really good.

So anyhoo, I polished off another t-bone this arvo, and as usual concocted my own recipe which is quite frankly awesome if it's done right, most of the time I do it pretty dam good, but every now and then it's superb!  Anyone got any recommendations for steak toppings?

On another note - considering every now and then I can make a superb one that I just wish I could get off the shelf, how hard is it to get a product like that out there? :tilt:  Should I approach Paul Newman? :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Had atlantic salmon steak again tonight, except this time it was sensational!  I undercooked it somewhat - I hope there's not too many risks with cooking it rare, but I've never had salmon this good before.  It was a fillet and close to 2 inches thick at the meaty end, so next time I might try one of those wishbone-shape ones which are cut across the grain and uniform in thickness. 

Have always loved fish but never been a fan of cooking it at home cos apart from smoked cod in milk which I used to make like 10 years ago - I've never had much success with it.  But after tonight's, will have to try it a bit more.

Offline waz356

So - I eat a lot of steak, and therefore a lot of steak toppings...  I love some of the sauces you can get at good restaurants, but am yet to find a single steak topping that I can buy off the shelf which is really good.

Try Maggie Beer Cabernet Table Sauce.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Atlantic Salmon should be cooked Medium Rare, or so my wife tells me.

Online jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam

Good ol' Fountain or big red!

Nah just kidding, My mum's interpretation of Diane sauce is unreal but in no shops :(
She won't tell me how it's done. Must be her way to get me to come visit.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Atlantic Salmon should be cooked Medium Rare, or so my wife tells me.

I would agree, except when cooked in curry where it should be medium. To achieve this, cook the curry with the salmon but put in the bones seperately, once the fish is about half done, take it out and continue cooking the curry. When ready to serve, boil the curry again and put the salmon back in for 5 mins...perfecto Salmon Fish Curry  :thumbsup: FYI, if you leave the salmon in there, it'll just break up...

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
She won't tell me how it's done. Must be her way to get me to come visit.

Could be worse - she could be making a crap sauce to try to keep you away  ;)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Today's gut filler is a dry aged steak - this piece of cow cost $26 bucks!  Must say - not a fan of the smell, will have to cook this one slower and longer than usual, got some marinara to go with it just to give myself a double chance of dying from food poisoning :scared: