Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Yeah it does dry it out a bit - but there are a few of advantages.

First is that it extracts water, concentrating the beef flavour in the piece of meat. I generally salt it for an hour and a half - enough time to warm to room temperature - and haven't managed to dry it out to a noticeable extent yet. I still get a lot of juices coming from the steak when it's resting, and it's certainly not too dry when eating it. I guess it depends on the amount of time under salt and the cut of meat, though.

Second is that it helps make the meat very tender. Some good quality meat + some time under salt = melt in the mouth tenderness. It even helps with average stuff if you know it won't be tender, too... but that generally needs more time under salt and is more likely to be a bit too dry. I haven't experimented much, though. Life's too short!

The third advantage is that if you put anything like garlic or rosemary or thyme on the meat, these flavours get imparted and you'll have a delicious, tender, beefy piece of beef with a subtle kick from the garlic and herbs :)  :thumbsup:

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Yeah it does dry it out a bit - but there are a few of advantages.

First is that it extracts water, concentrating the beef flavour in the piece of meat. I generally salt it for an hour and a half - enough time to warm to room temperature - and haven't managed to dry it out to a noticeable extent yet. I still get a lot of juices coming from the steak when it's resting, and it's certainly not too dry when eating it. I guess it depends on the amount of time under salt and the cut of meat, though.

Second is that it helps make the meat very tender. Some good quality meat + some time under salt = melt in the mouth tenderness. It even helps with average stuff if you know it won't be tender, too... but that generally needs more time under salt and is more likely to be a bit too dry. I haven't experimented much, though. Life's too short!

The third advantage is that if you put anything like garlic or rosemary or thyme on the meat, these flavours get imparted and you'll have a delicious, tender, beefy piece of beef with a subtle kick from the garlic and herbs :)  :thumbsup:
Stop it, I'm getting hungry.  :D

Sounds like I live in the wrong state.  You guys in adelaide really do enjoy your steaks.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Whether you put salt before or after, it's all a matter of personal taste. The meat will be affected but I don't think the result has been to drastic for me. And you do get more marinade into the meat the longer you cook it. All a matter of what you like. I like more natural meat taste so I season the meat during cooking: sea salt during cooking, then mushed garlic for finishing touches.

I've been cooking my steak in the pan lately:
- no oil on pan, high flame till it gets really really hot
- chuck the meat in, seal for 2 mins, turn and salt it
- reduce flame by 50%, cook till med - med rare (i test using the finger pressure)
- by this time the fat from the steak would melted into the pan but not get burnt
- take the steak out and let it rest, turn flame to about 20%
- chuck in a bit of extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, tomatoes, shallots, chilli
- let it simmer for a 2 mins on low flame, then pour in some tomato puree or soup (from can)
- stir and reduce it to your preference of sauce thickness then take it out, and you'll have a tomato based gravy cooked with the flavours from yer steak

.....I'm hungry now.....

Offline Steve.

Yum... that sounds pretty good too!

I'm doing my salt-with-herbs-and-garlic thing tonight, but rather than using a griddle pan I'll just use a normal heavy based fry pan.

The plan is to make a quick pan mushroom sauce when the steak is resting - chop up some mushrooms and chuck them in, sprinkle with cornflour, add some cooking cream, pepper, lemon juice, and some parsley... then scrape the caramelized juices from the pan in to the sauce. Yum.

I haven't done it before, so it'll be an experiment... hopefully nothing goes wrong!

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

just run it on 20% flame when yer making the gravy. Try milk instead of cream and just cook it a bit longer...it'll be lighter but as tasty.

Offline Steve.

I'll have to do that next time... it turned out quite thick and heavy.

I also think I forgot to wash the steak thoroughly enough... it was a bit salty :(

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
wash the steak

WTF??  :confused:

If you buy the good cuts of meat all the garnishing and marinating is largely unnecessary.  On a nice aged fillet I just rub in some oil, sprinkle a couple nice spices or some cajun and crack some pepper on it, leave it until it's sorta room temp and it turns out awesome.

Offline Steve.

I've had a thing for salting the meat while it adjusts to room temperature, and I gotta wash that off...!

I'll try it without the salt next time... it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I've tried salting my meat at the recommendation of various "recipes" online - but never really found the reason for it - apart from making it salty! :?

Offline Steve.

I've found it helps make the meat more tender (although this is hard to determine using the same piece of meat to test on!) and taste beefier due to the extraction of water from the piece of meat.

It's difficult to ascertain if it actually does anything I think it does, but it can be argued that it makes me look as though I know what I'm doing  :D