Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I just went to a vegan restaurant with a "healthy" friend, only option that wasn't some tofu lentil shit was a "curry", basically a bowl of steamed potatoes in a watery goop with vague coconut flavour.

That was 20 mins ago, currently sitting on the bogger with the runs and abdominal pains.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I just went to a vegan restaurant with a "healthy" friend, only option that wasn't some tofu lentil shit was a "curry", basically a bowl of steamed potatoes in a watery goop with vague coconut flavour.

That was 20 mins ago, currently sitting on the bogger with the runs and abdominal pains.

If you just ate, it's more likely to be last night's meal causing the problem.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

If you just ate, it's more likely to be last night's meal causing the problem.

Nah just acute Dumping Syndrome or something, I was sweating like a pig whilst eating it.

Here's last nights, perfectly digested as usual. :yummy:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Was thinking more about this...

I just went to a vegan restaurant ... That was 20 mins ago, currently sitting on the bogger with the runs and abdominal pains.

...as recently a friend was going on about me needing to get more fibre, and all I could think is "why?", apart from adverts for cereal and stuff, I don't ever recall hearing a plausible scientific need for fibre. The main reason which is brought up is it aids digestion and helps get things through the bowels, well, the reason for this? It's because fibre is indigestible and so the body wants it out of you, usually it comes packaged in foods that are semi-digestable (veggies) and so yes - it helps move them through the body, but it has no necessary effect on meat and fat - and being 99% carnivore I always feel awesome except when I eat "health food".

Anyhoo, it came up because of a new blog post today, basically saying it's a waste of time focussing on getting fibre, but it's good to get a little: http://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber

Then I stumbled on a book - Fiber Menace - due warning as it's plugging itself so will sound sensationalist, but it makes some interesting points: http://www.gutsense.org/fibermenace/about_fm.html

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Fibre's important and it works, don't let anyone try to tell you different.

Tried something different (for me) rib eye done in a pan, the steak was peppered.

Let the pan heat till smoking, (just an oil spray) dropped it in and it was super crisp on the outside and as raw as you like on the inside, delicious.

I can't do that on a BBQ grill.

I guess the pepper tratment acts the same as salting.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I still don't know why though, just because we've been told it's important. I question *everything* people say without a scientific source, as far as I can tell the whole dogma around fibre is simply that it's a long-standing tradition to get more of it to help move stuff through, but the reason for this is because it's basically a toxin that the body fights against, it's not because it's a healthy method of moving nutrients through the duodenum. If you intake a lot of high glycemic load carbohydrates it will cause an insulin response, if you also include non-starch polysaccharides (indigestible fibre) it partially blunts the effect, mostly by nuking the system and accelerating digestion because the body doesn't want it.

That's about all I can get out off the top of my head, in effect the only reason for it is to minimise the damage the starch and sugars have on the system.

Tried something different (for me) rib eye done in a pan, the steak was peppered.

Let the pan heat till smoking, (just an oil spray) dropped it in and it was super crisp on the outside and as raw as you like on the inside, delicious.

I can't do that on a BBQ grill.

I guess the pepper tratment acts the same as salting.

Yeah, my problem is I can't do this as it sets off my smoke alarms. :rolleyes:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

OK - why??? Do you know because you are a God or are you just going by what has been drummed into us for so many years????

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

OK - why??? Do you know because you are a God or are you just going by what has been drummed into us for so many years????

The colonoscopy guy told me and he's seen more arses than you........perhaps :)

It works just take All Bran 3 times a week and see for yourself.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The colonoscopy guy told me and he's seen more arses than you........perhaps :)

It works just take All Bran 3 times a week and see for yourself.

I don't need to eat All Bran - never had a problem ever!!!

On the other hand, the missus has endless problems with this IBS thing, and more fibre just makes it worse.......