Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Some nice suggestions there..gona be back here in 3 weeks so will have a chance to try a few of them.

Had dinner at Times on the park which was ok. After foigoir (sp?) for entrée, lobster bisque for soup and a 500g ribeye aged for 80 days, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack  :boggled:

Offline j15

Went to Element Bistro on the cnr of King and Elizabeth st a few weeks ago, not bad!

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Some reviews from the weekend trip...

Tetsuya's - major dissapointment  :thumbsdown: with all the rave about its chef and the food we went with very high expectations. Unfortunately, we walked about dissatisfied. His signature dish of Trout was tasty and so was the beef and dessert which represented 3 out of the 12 courses served. The others were only average or below average. I'd go as far as not recommending it to anyone. Avg cost pp $250 with wine from restaurant.

Quay - WOW!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: the view was just awesome, food was excellent and the service was superb. Wine selection was good as well. My only complaint was that the dessert was just way way too rich  :melting: Avg cost pp $200 with wine from restaurant.

Fourty-One - WOW!!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: once again, the view was nice but not as nice as at Quay; apparently it used to be Alan Bond's penthouse?? Every single course was exceptional. Service from the staff was good but I didn't like the restaurant manager and corkage at $60/bottle is pretty steep but I think that's just Sydney. Avg cost pp $230 with our own wines.

Cafe Sydney - Average  :scratchchin: view was excellent. Food was just average. However, considering we had been eating some sensational food it may have been unfair for me to judge this restaurant this way. The soft shell crab was too soggy but the grilled salmon was cooked to perfection...OMG..I'm still salivating for it  :D Wine selection was not too great. Avg cost pp $100 with wine from restaurant.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Tetsuya's - major dissapointment  :thumbsdown: with all the rave about its chef and the food we went with very high expectations. Unfortunately, we walked about dissatisfied. His signature dish of Trout was tasty and so was the beef and dessert which represented 3 out of the 12 courses served. The others were only average or below average. I'd go as far as not recommending it to anyone. Avg cost pp $250 with wine from restaurant.

Quay - WOW!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: the view was just awesome, food was excellent and the service was superb. Wine selection was good as well. My only complaint was that the dessert was just way way too rich  :melting: Avg cost pp $200 with wine from restaurant.

Fourty-One - WOW!!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: once again, the view was nice but not as nice as at Quay; apparently it used to be Alan Bond's penthouse?? Every single course was exceptional. Service from the staff was good but I didn't like the restaurant manager and corkage at $60/bottle is pretty steep but I think that's just Sydney. Avg cost pp $230 with our own wines.

Cafe Sydney - Average  :scratchchin: view was excellent. Food was just average. However, considering we had been eating some sensational food it may have been unfair for me to judge this restaurant this way. The soft shell crab was too soggy but the grilled salmon was cooked to perfection...OMG..I'm still salivating for it  :D Wine selection was not too great. Avg cost pp $100 with wine from restaurant.

Doing your bit to stimulate the Sydney economy, I see.   :D

Usually, I can manage Sailors Thai - on the long table. :p

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

Glad to hear you had a couple of good meals  :) and are helping our depressed NSW economy as Mark points out  :thumbsup:. Surprised at Tetsuyas, I will think twice before booking there again given your review.

Try 'est' next time, the food is sublime IMO. If you want great seafood and great setting on the harbour at Rose Bay try 'Pier' or equally great seafood at a funky little place in Darlinghurst called 'Fishface' - although be prepared to sit on tall stools with not huge amount of room, but the seafood is also sublime, the chef Steve Hodges used to be a partner at 'Pier'.

Next time you or Mark are coming to town let me know if you are free and I'll see if I can join you for a meal or quiet drink or 2.
Keep Smiling

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Yea, had a good time in Sydney. We all stayed at the Westin which was central for those of us who had to work, shop and do some sight seeing. So many nice restaurants within a short walk from there as well.

Gonna plan to be in Syd on 16/10, so if you guys are free for dinner then I'll stay the night. What say you? Would love to try 'est.

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

Yea, had a good time in Sydney. We all stayed at the Westin which was central for those of us who had to work, shop and do some sight seeing. So many nice restaurants within a short walk from there as well.

Gonna plan to be in Syd on 16/10, so if you guys are free for dinner then I'll stay the night. What say you? Would love to try 'est.

At this stage that can work, it would be great to go to 'est' again, I just need to check my social secretary wife has not booked anything. There is a good bar/nightclub upstairs also and just down the road is the new 'Ivy', I haven't been for a drink there but it has been a bit of the talk of the town.
Keep Smiling

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

At this stage that can work, it would be great to go to 'est' again, I just need to check my social secretary wife has not booked anything. There is a good bar/nightclub upstairs also and just down the road is the new 'Ivy', I haven't been for a drink there but it has been a bit of the talk of the town.

I was there 4 weeks ago at their 'Mad Cow' restaurant with YSS. Nice place. Love the concept of different themes within the same building.

Who else here would be up for it??  :D Could be the start of the 'Aussie Exotics Food Club - Sydney chapter'  :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Dam I gotta find a reason to get to Syderlly more often...  anyone need some consulting/insulting done? :D

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

'Aussie Exotics Food Club - Sydney chapter'  :p

That has a nice ring to it  :cool: I reckon Tzz (Tony) would be up for it, am sure we can russell up some others, maybe we need to start a thread who is up for a lunch/dinner at 'est' and drink after. Jon (horse) my mate from Brisvegas generally doesn't require to much persuasion for a looooong lunch, he might also come down with a mate.
Keep Smiling