Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

thanks guys...........you have put me off Paris,sounds like the food and culture is crap.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I think you may have jumped the gun in writing Paris off, its all about what you like and what you want to do.

My favourite cities are all in Asia, mostly China and Taiwan, and most Australians judging by frequent flyer forums etc. hate them with a passion.

I dont drink, I travel alone, and I like walking forever and being lost with a feeling that I am on another planet.
Also, I love big crowds of happy people going about their lives.

Paris is probably great if you want to relax and experience the finest food and wine, fashion, old architecture, art by renowned masters you have heard of etc, although to be honest the only good coffee I had there was at starbucks!

Offline Dave_A

Oh my...such hate for Paris.
I've been to Paris many times when I was studying in Koln Germany,it is such a lovely place to mozy around and get lost in as Futurism stated. The people and culture is somewhat different but if you spend time avoiding the tourist areas and the rubbish suburbs,it is truly an awe inspiring city,lovely architecture,most amazing food (if you're lucky enough to have a local friend) oh and those wonderful little coffee shops on just about every corner serving their espresso's.......just wonderful.
If you venture out of Paris, you will really see how beautiful a country it really is,I stayed in Nemour as a teacher for a month and still to this day have a soft spot for France.

I find with most reviews of cities and countries that the soul of the place is somewhat lost in the review.If you want to truly experience a country/city/culture,forget the mainstream,find a not so popular area and befriend the locals,this is the best advice I can give you.
I've spent most of my life travelling/studying overseas and my best,most memorable experiences have been to places that no-one visits.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
Decenting view,
I love Paris, use it as a starting point to many of my European trips.
Probably been 4 times, eiffel tower, louvre, versace, so many interesting places to visit, and then theres the non tourist places u stumble across.
Ive had awsome dining experiences, great food, good food, disapointing food. But thats the same for every country ive been to.
I usually stay in the Opéra Vendôme area, walking distance to a lot, and close to the metro.
I found if i try to at least greet them in french, no matter how bad my french is, they have a totally different attitude.
I'd go back in a flash.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Decenting view,
I love Paris, use it as a starting point to many of my European trips.
Probably been 4 times, eiffel tower, louvre, versace, so many interesting places to visit, and then theres the non tourist places u stumble across.
Ive had awsome dining experiences, great food, good food, disapointing food. But thats the same for every country ive been to.
I usually stay in the Opéra Vendôme area, walking distance to a lot, and close to the metro.
I found if i try to at least greet them in french, not matter how bad my french is, they have a totally different attitude.
I'd go back in a flash.

Me too. Utterly cool place.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Asked my partner what she thought of Paris (been there many times)
laughed and said its what you know and where to go,said i would enjoy it so much,coffee shops,bars and walks and the people.
i think its my type of place,as i enjoy markets and cooking,seems best thing is to rent an apartment as a base and keep away from middle-class Americans on there 1st Euro holiday staying at hotels as per the brochures.

Online cel

L'Entrecôte (Le Relais de Venise – L'Entrecôte) is a great place to eat in Paris. You'll need to queue up outside until it opens.

There's no menu, all you can select is how you want your meat done. Served with chips. When finished they'll bring more meat and chips.

And you can choose your desert, which are amazing too.

While you're eating there will still be a queue outside waiting for the second seating. Highly recommend it.