Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey guys,

I've decided its about time to look at installing some security cameras around my home, with the ever more affordable systems available and with my own DIY abilities I think it would be a fun weekend project and possibly a good deterrent for break ins or vandalism.

I've singled out a few systems I'm looking to buy (Jaycar have a couple of seemingly reasonable prices), but thought I'd ask a few questions from those who may have had experience because I'm getting varying information from people.

1: apparently if i install it myself the footage is not admissible as evidence should I seek to use it?  Really? this sounds like BS to me?
2: I've seen some systems that go all the way to 1080P. Now I understand the benefits and deficiencies of having super high res, but is it really worth it?
3: Some people tell me analogue are still OK as long as you have over 600TVL comments?
4: Storage: Is 2 weeks storage enough, or could there ever be a need to delve back further than that so is it worth upgrading the storage?
5: As i mentioned I'll likely get it from Jaycar, but is it worth considering anything off Ebay etc?

and a bit of background, the reason I'm doing this is because I have a very inconsiderate neighbour and I'm fearful of vandalism. I hope he will never do anything however lately he's shown himself to be quite unstable and unreasonable.

Offline Moneybags

I'm researching this myself at the moment, and have heard very good things about HiKvision cameras.

Apparently SWANN are re-branded HiKvision cameras, but from what I have heard Swann aren't that great which has me confused as to if they are re-branded HiKvision cameras.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

When there is an issue, you'd want as high a resolution as possible.

Every other time it's not really necessary so Murphy's law applies.

2 weeks storage is not enough if you're away longer and you have to go back to look if there's an issue.

Dummy cameras would deter 80% of people. Real crooks will rob you regardless.

2 old sayings. One is good fast and cheap, pick any two. And locks only keep honest people out.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
Ask your local drug dealer or outlaw motorcycle gang for advice.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
The cheap stuff is a WOFTAM in my experience. There is little point if all you get is an indistinct image that is next to useless.
I finally got around to ordering a system for home last week. Not the best of the best like I use at work; but still $15k.

Offline NBTBRV8

I have to have the best for my work, and we use Hikvision cameras with a Nuuo DVR.

Go digital, analogue really is hopeless, but expect to pay a minimum of around $1k for a 3mp camera

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
I have to have the best for my work, and we use Hikvision cameras with a Nuuo DVR.
Go digital, analogue really is hopeless, but expect to pay a minimum of around $1k for a 3mp camera

You want an IP based system for sure. I just replaced a couple of dead cameras at work,  5mp for $1100 each.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
so a 720p digital system for home would not be adequate by your reckoning?

Offline NBTBRV8

so a 720p digital system for home would not be adequate by your reckoning?

It could be, it just depends upon what your purpose will be.  720p wouldn't allow you to read a number plate for example.

As Scott said, IP systems are the best.

Offline jamesatfish

I use an IP based system - Axis cameras of various resolutions ranging from 640x480 up to 2560x1920 in the most recent cameras I've bought. 

Resolution is important, but I find that night-time capability is more useful than absolute resolution.  The most useful cameras I run are the P3364-LVE models - they're only 1MP but have built in IR illumination and 0 lux minimum illumination.  The 5MP cameras only drop down to 0.04 lux, which makes them far less useful for nighttime surveillance.

Being IP based means the camera server runs on a PC (in my case a Mac), so adding extra capacity is as easy as upgrading a hard drive or putting bigger drives into a RAID array.  That allows me to grow the system as I upgrade cameras, moving the older / lower spec ones to less important areas rather than throwing them out.  The oldest camera in my system is roughly 15 years old, and I haven't thrown one out yet.

My setup covers multiple properties which is another advantage of an IP based system - if you've got commercial properties or holiday houses to monitor you can connect them all to a central camera server over VPN.  In the same vein I run 2 separate camera servers in 2 locations, so if someone actually stole the server from my home there would still be another copy of the camera footage elsewhere.

As to how useful the footage is - I've had mixed results. 

Footage we captured of property damage / trespass was helpful in a civil suit against a bad tenant, which was a win. 

Somebody torched a vehicle (not ours) out the front of one of our buildings recently, and the footage was used by the police to establish the time the fire was lit, but wasn't useful in terms of identifying the people that set the car ablaze.  Call that a draw. 

The house across the street from our old place was robbed in broad daylight, and our cameras caught the whole thing including great footage of the blokes as they smashed the front window and emerged a few minutes later with a flatscreen TV.  I told the investigating officer of the footage I had but they never called back to take a look.  Call that a loss.