Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
The notion that one can simply finish a degree these days and it will guarantee some sort of financial security probably died 20 years ago - maybe medical stuff is an exception.

As the world has become globalised it has become a dog eat dog world and you need to work hard in your profession to get ahead.

What's lost these days is the work ethic to get ahead and Uni is not going to teach you that.

Scott, not sure what age your kids are but when they are ready to do a honest days work get them in your store during weekends and holidays doing hard work and pay them a real wage for it.

After that leave it up to them to decide if they want to for university.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That article was reading well until the last 2 paragraphs.  The so-called "implications" for the self employed suggest the trend is negative for employers.  It's not - it is positive. An oversupply of overqualified workers?  That might be bad for the workers but it isn't for the self-employed.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Simply put.

Entrepreneurs have a different mind sent to academics.

They simply want to make as much money as possible Vs learning as much as possible.

I hated school and did 6 months of Uni which made yearn to earn cash.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
That artical sum's up what's happening in most professions. A recent article I read has graduate accountant unemployment levels at 1992 rates - recession levels.

The next wave is going to be all the engineering professionals that are directly or indirectly relivent on mining and gas.
With iron ore and coal at record lows all the big projects are on hold. Investment is tapering off on big projects.

Offline Neru

The next wave is going to be all the engineering professionals that are directly or indirectly relivent on mining and gas.
With iron ore and coal at record lows all the big projects are on hold. Investment is tapering off on big projects.

currently in the position I am in, as much I would love to work as a engineer I doubt I would get the opportunity to with market absolutely dropping in Australia. 

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
I don't use any of my degree's in my job, but I guess that piece of paper gets you in the door.  I guess it also depends on your chosen field.  Like your job Scott, I'd be dubious of a pharmacist without a degree. Lol

A pharmacist without a degree usually runs a meth-lab.

:D

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Simply put.

Entrepreneurs have a different mind sent to academics.

They simply want to make as much money as possible Vs learning as much as possible.

I hated school and did 6 months of Uni which made yearn to earn cash.

Most people who teach you how to be self employed have never had the experience themselves.

:confused:

Offline CortinaD

I loved uni. Aside from leaning how to think, it was great networking with like minds. Met a couple of mates there who have since gone on to much bigger things and none of us regret going. I want to go back to do another degree.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Scott.

If you are worried about your boys not having a degree don't.

I have one and am happy to sell it :D

Offline Moneybags

Very Interesting topic.

From my experience, University only benefits those who want to go, and who want to learn. Just because someone has a university degree doesn't make them the best candidate for the future.

I believe that those who are going because they are passionate will get the most out of the experience, and be able to contribute the most to their respective fields. Those individuals are the ones that are the highest paid, and will always bein demand.

My wife is currently studying Pharmacy (she is a little more mature) and she mentions that about 75% are there because they have to be there not because they are passionate. They are their because parents own a pharmacy or they are being encouraged to get a university degree by parents (These are the ones that aren't currently working in a pharmacy, nor do they actually put any effort into the course.. they coast by).

These individuals will graduate but will provide no benefit to their respective fields. The 25% that are passionate will go places. They will always have jobs.

I would think it works the same way for any other degree. I personally felt it when I was at university, I see it in the corporate world as well. you can pick the ones that did a degree for the sake of doing a degree.

They come in and do a half assed job and leave at 5 on the dot. They have the qualifications, but lack any kind of passion or skill to be honest.

Those are the people I make redundant eventually.

So if your kids aren't passionate about learning, or have no strive to succeed down the educated path then I wouldn't force them. Get them into a trade or somewhere they are passionate about going.