Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I encountered what I consider a huge business mistake buy one of the most well known companies in Australia.

I'd be interested in hearing examples of what other people think have been huge mistakes by Australian business.

We've recently witnessed Qantas's efforts at marketing, the latest stuff up that I came across tonight was by the fast food giant, Hungry Jacks.

I wandered thru the drive thru and ordered the Aussie diet staple, the Whopper value meal. I headed off on my way as usual. As Ive gone to grab my burger Ive realised that some idiot has put something else in other than a Whopper as there's a flaming cardboard box in the bag and no whopper. At my next stop I delve further into my dilema to find that some idiot at Hungry Jacks head office has decided now to put unwrapped whoppers into cardboard boxes just like the Big Macs that you cant eat as you drive are...

How many sales have they lost to delivery drivers, taxi drivers, sales reps and general public that bought whoppers because you could conveniently eat them as you drove? Forget about it being illegal, tens of thousands of people every day in Australia bought whoppers because you could eat them as you drove.

They have totally lost the competitive edge that they had over McDonalds in the drive thru market.

What other ill thought out business decisions have you come across lately?

Offline ckbag

Just had a whopper at the airport which had the normal wrapping, maybe the new packaging hasn't gotten to where I live? But yeah I would hate to try eating the whopper without the wrapping, most of the sauce would drop onto my hand instead of ending up in my mouth

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

I have passed on my concerns to HJ's website. Im sure they'll reply that you can still ask for your whopper to be wrapped but how many drive thru customers wont ask but instead will stop buying whoppers for that reason?

Offline CortinaD

It takes two hands to handle a whopper mate and add to that as you know driving with your knees is unsafe

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

On the other side of the ledger, great marketing by Coke.
I bought a 600ml coke a few weeks back that I would never have bought except that I spotted it at Coles and saw that it had my nieces name on it with her unique spelling, Tayla. Last night I got all warm and fuzzy when I bought another 600ml coke with the name Ash on it. :D

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

It takes two hands to handle a whopper mate and add to that as you know driving with your knees is unsafe

That was the old days..... before they invented the paper wrapped whopper, ;) It takes two hands and a catch tray now.

Offline a.taylor

On the other side of the ledger, great marketing by Coke.
I bought a 600ml coke a few weeks back that I would never have bought except that I spotted it at Coles and saw that it had my nieces name on it with her unique spelling, Tayla. Last night I got all warm and fuzzy when I bought another 600ml coke with the name Ash on it. :D

An excellent campaign from coke I thought, I've seen so many people posting up photos of coke products to their Facebook etc.

Offline domino

• doing it topless

• Drives: on E85
That was the old days..... before they invented the paper wrapped whopper, ;) It takes two hands and a catch tray now.

and started making them minutely smaller year by year hahaha

so you can slam down a whopper while driving but can't hold a mobile in your lap on speaker phone

teh mind boggles

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Old style packaging made the burger look flat and squashy. New 'clam' packaging is to make the burger more presentable.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Old style packaging made the burger look flat and squashy. New 'clam' packaging is to make the burger more presentable.
The problem is no one actually cared, its a marketing mistake. Ive experienced the Hungry Jacks clam and it hasnt made the burger more presentable, its ruined the best design feature that they had in place. Big Macs dont look more presentable because they are in a clam, it allows the contents of the burger to fall out. When you open a Big Mac box you see a bun in a forest of its contents. The marketing guys were so concerned about the opposition that they copied one of that companies failures.

I dont think they even realised that that the burgers being wrapped was a marketing advantage that they had over McDonalds. The marketing guys have screwed up what was probably one of their biggest selling points for something that never mattered. If they had a clue they would have promoted it as an advantage saying enjoy your burger, dont pick it up off the floor.  What theyve done now is increased their costs and lost that drive thru business advantage that they had.