Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I'm very concerned at the lack of culinary self sufficiency disclosed in this thread. Self sufficiency with cooking is an excellent skill to have in your locker, not to mention great for courting those hard to impress ladies. For those of you struggling with making a roast, follow these five steps which will take you no more than 25 minutes to do (plus cooking time):
1.  Preheat oven to 160.
2.  Get a lamb shoulder and lightly score it with your bad ass knife.
3. Cut some carrot and potato into large chunks and place them in the bottom of a roasting tray. Maybe put some lemon slices in the bottom of that tray if you want. Put the lamb shoulder on top of the vegetables. This adds flavour and keeps the meat off the bottom of the tray where it is likely to just boil in its own juices during cooking.
4.  Very finely chop a big handful of rosemary, a smaller handful of thyme, and 12 cloves of garlic. Loosely combine this stuff in a bowl with olive oil, the zest of 1 lemon, salt and pepper to make a marinade. Rub the marinade all over the lamb shoulder.
5. Slide the fucker into the oven and leave it there for four hours. Turn the oven up to 220 for the last 15 minutes to get a crispy skin.
That's the most idiot proof way to make a brilliant roast that will have tender meat that you can just shred with a fork. Do that, and you will have meat for days.
If anyone is interested I'll set out the steps for the glorious side salads, and what to do with the leftover meat.

This was so moist it didn't even need gravy............

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Ah, new toys! Loved the sound of this, want to have something outside for more meat dishes. Search online for Kamado BBQ, find their site, see they seem to be an Aussie company so figure it's worth taking a peek ... then their retailers section is broken and their contact us is shambolic.

Here's an idea, get your website fixed BBQ people!     :mad:

Here's an idea, get your website Ubered people!.  ;) :D

Offline j15

This was so moist it didn't even need gravy............

Happy to help :D

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Happy to help :D

I'm looking forward to the leftovers today
Many thanks :)

Offline E7ITE

I'm going to try that lamb roast recipe, thanks!

Offline dkabab

I'm sure that will be amazing. But it sounds like 4 1/2 hrs. I'm not getting home at 6 and eating dinner at 11. 

I'd rather buy a plate of that.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
I'm sure that will be amazing. But it sounds like 4 1/2 hrs. I'm not getting home at 6 and eating dinner at 11. 

Just pop over to Dodger's for a feed! Bring the family.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline j15

Yeah, not a weekday thing unless you're home early. I do it on the weekends, then I've got a couple of recipes for the leftovers which takes care of dinner for the next couple of evenings.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

If you have an oven with a timer it would work but really it's weekend food.....pure indulgence. :goodvibes:

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Ah, new toys! Loved the sound of this, want to have something outside for more meat dishes. Search online for Kamado BBQ, find their site, see they seem to be an Aussie company so figure it's worth taking a peek ... then their retailers section is broken and their contact us is shambolic.

Here's an idea, get your website fixed BBQ people!     :mad:

Ha. Some people just don't get it - having a functional website is pretty damn important these days!

I bought my kamado from Bunnings for $500 or thereabouts - I think the brand is Akorn or Char-Griller or something. It was more of an experiment than anything else, and I haven't yet found the need to buy a better quality/larger cooker.

Unfortunately my preferred supplier of charcoal no longer ships charcoal, but they do continue to ship some excellent wood for smokey flavourings: http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/ (their website is also shitty!)

I use cherry, red box, and apple wood. The longest I've cooked something is about 18 hours - I had a couple of pork shoulders in there for pulled pork. Beef ribs can be done in about 4 hours, a chicken in about an hour with a warmer fire. My Weber is busy gathering dust :)