Offline 98octane

I'm going to Germay for six days in early January.  I've hired a car between Munich and Frankfurt.  I plan to drive the Romantische Strasse (www.romanticroad.com) during this time.   I'll be going to all the obvious places like Neuschwanstein and Rothenburg, but I won't be doing the 'Ring this trip.   I'm also keen to hear any suggestions from people who've been there recently, including any spectacular driving roads etc (keeping in mind it's winter).   MHH did you visit this area?  Any suggestions for must-see places?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
6 days? why?
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 98octane

6 days? why?

Holiday.  Christmas in France, then skiing/NYE in Alps, then six days till I fly out from Frankfurt.  I'm pretty keen to do spend time photographing the Alpine landscape and castles/mediaeval villages in snow.  But I don't have heaps of time so I want to focus my trip on the 'best' spots.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Holiday.  Christmas in France, then skiing/NYE in Alps, then six days till I fly out from Frankfurt.  I'm pretty keen to do spend time photographing the Alpine landscape and castles/mediaeval villages in snow.  But I don't have heaps of time so I want to focus my trip on the 'best' spots.

that's alright then. otherwise i was going to say 2 days of flying for 6 days holiday was nuts!! (which is what i did earlier this year..that's how i know)
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
According to my passport I've flown to Germany 23 times.  Sadly most was spent working on planes at the airport and never ventured further than the beige taxi ranks. 

Stop off for lunch in the smaller towns, great atmosphere.

Yeah - Winter in Germany - fricking freezing. 
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

According to my passport I've flown to Germany 23 times.  Sadly most was spent working on planes at the airport and never ventured further than the beige taxi ranks. 

Stop off for lunch in the smaller towns, great atmosphere.

Yeah - Winter in Germany - fricking freezing. 

Munich was cold..Frankfurt was colder and it f-in snowed......I was so close....bad memories....don't go there  :waah:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Munich was cold..Frankfurt was colder and it f-in snowed......I was so close....bad memories....don't go there  :waah:

Oh, that's right you poor bugger. So close but yet so far.  :(

(Just don't mention the 'Ring.)

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Don't worry - we'll get a gang together one day and do it properly.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

MHH did you visit this area?  Any suggestions for must-see places?

No, I did Paris to the 'Ring and back this time.  I did some of the Romantic Road many years ago but that was in September.  Very pretty then.

Offline 98octane

I've got thermals, beanie, scarf, ski gloves etc so the cold shouldn't be too bad.  I'm going well prepared this time since I was caught out in Istanbul in Feb this year which was -15C with blizzard-strength wind and snow.   I didn't have a jacket because I'd just come from swimming in the Red Sea and average temps in Feb were supposed to be 5-10C.  I just wore all my clothing at once to overcome the cold!