Offline hummel

Dave I can try contacting the procurement team in shanghai  let you know.

Only thing is that China  a week off for public holidays

Tell me about it! I swear they have lots of holidays! Going over on the 12th to the land of confusion and corruption...

FWIW we use DHL for freighting prototypes to our office here, however we found using our Australian DHL account very expensive compared to getting one of our staff in Foshan to personally freight it to us.

Offline dkabab

thanks guys... will see how i go. so far ive had some companies quote freight through fedex and dhl for around $100.

Offline TomE

If it's $500 of value and comes in via Airmail or seamail it won't get hit with Tax. $1000 is the threshold.

If it comes in a container, then that's a completely different story......

I had some fuel tanks come in from England. DHL said that Customs wanted an inspection and the extra paperwork cost me around $600. If i didn't pay they would just send my items to auction to recover the money.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I had some fuel tanks come in from England. DHL said that Customs wanted an inspection and the extra paperwork cost me around $600. If i didn't pay they would just send my items to auction to recover the money.

That sounds very fishy to me - was the invoiced value less than $1000???? Who collected the money????

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Most manufacturers from the Mainland quote FOB prices - then you will have to organize a shipping agent to handle it.

For small volume, might be worth contacting DHL or even Fedex and set up an account.

Large volumes - a shipping agent can ship to your nearest port then you still need to organize for a local customs agent to clear customs for you.

For such a small carton, suggest see if they will freight to Hong Kong - and if so, I have a contact there who charges a nominal fee to onforward it to Adl.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline Sparkz

• Drives: Datsun
Question for all importers.

How can one find out what suppliers a competitor uses in China?

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Search for their products on Alibaba, contact anyone who makes one that looks similar.

Even better, outsource that job onto freelancer.com and get it done in a few days for $50.
C'mon, do it!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

google all known number sequence that might be on the product that you want and if you're lucky it may lead you to the supplier.  Helped me once with some light fittings.

Offline Sparkz

• Drives: Datsun
Search for their products on Alibaba, contact anyone who makes one that looks similar.

Even better, outsource that job onto freelancer.com and get it done in a few days for $50.

Literally spent 12 hours today on alibaba comparing and nothing looked like his stock.

How does freelancer work? Just went to that site its web development, content writing??

Offline dkabab

Ended up buying from someone who would ship it for me. They sent it last week but then had FedEx call me this morning asking 20 questions about the delivery and contents.

Is this normal?