Offline dkabab

I'm gonna stick to C. I relocated it from my driveway to here officer.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

I also thought that the police could not randomly pull you over unless you were actually doing something wrong

You have to be kidding. I don't know if that's true or not, but you WERE doing something wrong.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
You have to be kidding. I don't know if that's true or not, but you WERE doing something wrong.

Try to at least read what I wrote before firing something off.
The point is how did he know that?
He was guessing. It is not an offence to drive past a police car with a trade plate on the back.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
This F40 ran with permanently attached trade plates for a couple of years.

One day a female cop tried to book the driver for not having a front number plate (idiot)...but that was it.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
On a similar topic, I was watching Highway Patrol tonight.

In one of the situations, a cop caught a bloke driving in the opposite doing 101 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.  The cop then clicked the laser again to see if he could catch the person going any faster, the laser reading then showed 83 km/h.

Anyway, the cop did a U turn and pulled him over.  Cop told the bloke he was doing 101 km/h in a 50 km/h zone, the bloke asked if he could see the reading of him doing 101 km/h because he didn't believe it, the cop said he couldn't see it because that was an earlier reading, it only shows the last reading, in this case 83 km/h.

The cop proceeded to book the guy for doing 101 km/h and impounded his car as he was driving more than 45 km/h over the speed limit.  The bloke protested saying that he should be booked at 83 km/h, meaning his car wouldn't have been impounded.

I don't get that at all.  If the bloke challenged that in court, what grounds would the cops have to prove he was doing 101 km/h when all they have is a reading of him doing 83 km/h, besides their word?

A couple of yrs ago I was driving near Nth Adelaide coming onto Robe Tce I came around the corner doing around 80kph in a 60 zone when I got flashed by other drivers coming towards me. I braked heavily down to 60 then was pulled over by a cop with a laser gun. He asked if I have a radar detector I said no why cop said he got me doing 80 then got another reading thinking I was going faster but was only 60 he asked why did I slow down I said I was flashed by cars coming towards me.

Long story short he let me go I was really surprised but accepted his decision.

It must be different being caught with a laser/radar detection device where there has to be evidence of the alleged speed however cops can book you if they follow you and only have their speedo reading as evidence.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Police don't need to produce evidence to book you and their word in court is usually sufficient for the magistrate to rely on.  There's not need for police to "prove" to a driver that they registered their car at a particular speed.  The idea of showing a laser gun or radar readout is courtesy only.

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
Police don't need to produce evidence to book you and their word in court is usually sufficient for the magistrate to rely on.  There's not need for police to "prove" to a driver that they registered their car at a particular speed.  The idea of showing a laser gun or radar readout is courtesy only.

That's why I was surprised I was let off.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head

Depends on the state though doesn't it? I'm sure in NSW they are required to if it was recorded on such a device, for the car mounted ones it's automatically recorded in real time.

When I got done gunning the gallardo through a tunnel a couple months ago, I was done for 20-29 over the limit on an empty motorway (100kph zone) , I am 100% sure I was in excess of 160 minimum (48 hour impound of car, 6 month suspension, court hearing ....) , he didn't produce the laser for viewing, and I definitely wasn't going to ask for it as it was obvious he was cutting me a break.

Ive never had issues with trade plates either. Mate lends them to me if I need them, obviously I drive with the flow  and try not to stand out too much.   I used trade plates couple days ago in the GTR for a few hours that included having to cross Sydney CBD and had police coming the other way, they didn't think twice, maybe because the higher end dealers are closer to the city???
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
The other thing I wonder is that one of the acceptable reasons for driving with a trade plate is;
"on-road testing of a motor vehicle in the course of repairs or servicing or the making of alterations or additions to the vehicle".
Given that my car had recently had significant work done for compliance purposes, could I have argued that I was "testing" it in accordance with this part of the law?

I did explain this fact to the cop, but his attitude was "it's only a small fine. Just pay it".

In Victoria, a few trade plate is only to be used by the registered plate holder or their employees in the course of the normal business. There is no provision for it to be loaned out to a non-employee for any use as far as I am aware. They could use it say to test a vehicle if an employee was with them however. There is also a log book that needs to be filled out beforehand so the police can check in the event of a problem.

I note the SA laws are a lot more liberal however. There seems to be a provision for loaning the plate out which I find pretty strange. In Victoria you might be able to get a 7 or 28 day permit which gives temporary registration specifically for the purposes of getting a vehicle registered. Note this only applies to roadworthy vehicles that would normally qualify for registration under Australian ADR's and not anything you feel like driving.

Offline adam01

In Vic., also note km restriction

If the eligible person is a dealer, a prospective purchaser of the vehicle may test drive the vehicle on a highway only under any one of the following conditions:

• in the case of a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass greater than 4.5 tonnes – has never been previously registered
  • in the case of any other vehicle – has not been driven more than 1000km since its manufacture
  • the dealer has acquired a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) in Victoria, since acquiring the vehicle