Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey guys,

a Friend/aquaintance of mine has recently had some major life challenges thrown her way.

Late last year her 17 year old daughter has triggered a terrible certainly fatal genetic kidney disorder resulting in her needing daily Dialysis treatment etc.

There is some medication that can greatly improve her quality of life for now, however it's not available under any government schemes, and the cost is in the order of $10k per week.   They are petitioning to have this medication included under government subsidies.

So if you guys could please take a minute to look and either sign the petition or pass it on or even donate could potentially improve what is looking to be a very rough next several years for Bianca & Tammy.

again, its not spam, i've debated for a while whether to post this anywhere, but I've been on this forum for many years and you all know me, so hopefully this doesnt get taken in the wrong way.

Thanks guys.

check out the link here

http://biancasbattle.com/

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Tell them to contact these guys http://www.change.org/en-AU They will drum them up massive Australia wide support in a day.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Hey guys,

a Friend/aquaintance of mine has recently had some major life challenges thrown her way.

Late last year her 17 year old daughter has triggered a terrible certainly fatal genetic kidney disorder resulting in her needing daily Dialysis treatment etc.

There is some medication that can greatly improve her quality of life for now, however it's not available under any government schemes, and the cost is in the order of $10k per week.   They are petitioning to have this medication included under government subsidies.

So if you guys could please take a minute to look and either sign the petition or pass it on or even donate could potentially improve what is looking to be a very rough next several years for Bianca & Tammy.

again, its not spam, i've debated for a while whether to post this anywhere, but I've been on this forum for many years and you all know me, so hopefully this doesnt get taken in the wrong way.

Thanks guys.

check out the link here

http://biancasbattle.com/
Sorry to hear mate. One of my friends announced last week that she is fighting a rare cervical cancer that has spread to her lungs. Aussie doctors have told her they have done all they can and she has months but she has headed to Germany for a new treatment. Costing $270,000 so is raising money as well. First person I've know my age (she's 27) that I've personally know hit by cancer. It shakes you up!
Definitely get them onto the change site see if it can help, Alicia is on everydayheros and it has been a great response so far! The best side of social media, things like this.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Tell them to contact these guys http://www.change.org/en-AU They will drum them up massive Australia wide support in a day.

I'm too late, just saw shes already on there.  :thumbsup:

Just signed.
How do these meds end up being so expensive? Is there some extremely rare element in them that has to come from the ozone layer or something or are they made from $5 worth of ingredients and the people that developed them want new Bugatti's every few weeks?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I would have thought with the massive TV coverage the donations and help would be rolling in.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I would have thought with the massive TV coverage the donations and help would be rolling in.

Yes, but not everyone watches tv.  I for example have not had an areal connected at home for about 6 years now. and just figured I'd add it here.

Sorry to hear about your friend Cameron :-(

Offline Paulstar

How do these meds end up being so expensive? Is there some extremely rare element in them that has to come from the ozone layer or something or are they made from $5 worth of ingredients and the people that developed them want new Bugatti's every few weeks?

It's the cost to develop and get them approved, not the raw materials - that they are charging for. Also, that drug whilst not covered here could be covered elsewhere by health insurance schemes or governments who'll pay those prices - so companies set those prices.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

It's the cost to develop and get them approved, not the raw materials - that they are charging for. Also, that drug whilst not covered here could be covered elsewhere by health insurance schemes or governments who'll pay those prices - so companies set those prices.

you'll be surprised how large the marketing component to the cost of drugs is compared to the development and manufacturing costs. 

Offline Paulstar

you'll be surprised how large the marketing component to the cost of drugs is compared to the development and manufacturing costs.

I've heard this point in the past, in the case of lifesaving drugs - who are they marketing too? I'd have thought it'd be more pull than push in that case.