Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

We recently got connected to NBN and Telstra wants another appointment to switch the home phone over too. If I don't, they tell me the home number won't work soon. I never use it. Would I miss it? Anyone else ditched the home phone?

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I have not had a home phone in almost 10 years (except in cases where I've needed it for ADSL and then not actually connected anything to it), and don't miss it.

The only reason I can see to have a home phone is if you have an elevator at home and need it by law, otherwise everything else (i.e. security) just runs via internet these days.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have not had a home phone in almost 10 years (except in cases where I've needed it for ADSL and then not actually connected anything to it), and don't miss it.

The only reason I can see to have a home phone is if you have an elevator at home and need it by law, otherwise everything else (i.e. security) just runs via internet these days.

I've got a Chubb security system. Not sure if that needs a phone.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

We recently got connected to NBN and Telstra wants another appointment to switch the home phone over too. If I don't, they tell me the home number won't work soon. I never use it. Would I miss it? Anyone else ditched the home phone?

I've still got one because I don't like to have long conversations on a mobile but people generally have been dropping them at a great rate for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I've got a Chubb security system. Not sure if that needs a phone.
the only reason to have a home phone now that you have NBN is to run your fax.

As for the security system, back to base monitoring via copper wire offers little protection against a determined thief.  You are better off asking chubb or whoever to upgrade your monitoring to at least GPRS monitoring.

Offline jamesatfish

We need a landline for the lift, so I keep a regular phone attached to the line just for emergencies. That said, the only time it ever gets used is when the lift is serviced and certified each year.

We switched our alarm system over to a 3G / IP system which doesn't rely on a copper line.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high

Now there's a quaint item from the 80's.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Now there's a quaint item from the 80's.

Arthur likes to get his contract notes via Fax. Makes him feel like Gordon Gekko.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

mobiles could be the asbestos of the 60s? doesn't hurt to have a landline and when people like my wife talk to her mother, it drags on and on. cheaper on a landline than mobile.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks

As for the security system, back to base monitoring via copper wire offers little protection against a determined thief.  You are better off asking chubb or whoever to upgrade your monitoring to at least GPRS monitoring.
We got broken into around 10 years ago - someone who knew layout of my roof/wiring lifted one rooftile and snagged the phone cable and cut it disabling the monitored alarm. Since then, have used GPRS monitoring in addition to phone cable.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!