Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
What are the best resources for getting to grips with these things?

I'm good at being self-taught/learn-by-doing - so it'd be cool if there's some decent online tutorials/vids to get up to speed before deciding if I like it enough to get proper lessons.

I've done some Guitar Hero on the medium level, and in 1994 a mate taught me to play the chorus to Come As You Are by Nirvana, but that's about it.   :headbang:

A mate of mine is a musician so can lend me an axe or two to hack away on - "as long as you don't channel Garth Brooks..."

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
This answer depends on if you want to play an acoustic guitar as a singer songwriter type
An electric guitar and be a rock star or metal god (like me!)
Or classical guitar and be like segovia

Also, can you read music or play any other insturment?

By far the best way is to play along with someone else who can already play
youtube has millions of videos, including heaps of stolen ones from professional courses

As far as reading goes, guitarists invented tablature to eliminate the need to read music, which is fine if you want to learn the chorus to come as you are, but if you wanted to learn composition some day or to be able to play along with other insturments, you will struggle with tablature alone.
Still its probably the best resource to get you going

Pick an easy song, go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com and find the tab for it

Not knowing what genres of music you enjoy, I cant really suggest a song, popular music generally has no guitar at all or its just a heavily sampled cut up and edited loop with a heap of fx processing.

One of the best all round guitar groups who have strong melodies that a beginner can play and will develop good discipline is 'the shadows', dodger would approve of them I think. Easy to play badly, impossible to play it like Hank B Marvin

If you get into electric guitar and want advice on gear or whatever, I have just about every damn piece of gear available including a room full of guitars, amps, fx processors, recording interfaces, mics etc. And I rarely use them!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

This answer depends on if you want to play an acoustic guitar as a singer songwriter type
An electric guitar and be a rock star or metal god (like me!)
Or classical guitar and be like segovia

Ideally I'd like to be able to hear anything from classical to folk to pop to grunge and be able to figger out how to play it by ear, and make up cool shit myself.  Yeah - no time soon, but I can pick this stuff up pretty well. 

Also, can you read music or play any other insturment?

Back in the Jurassic era I could play keyboard, I taught myself some classical music (from listening to video games and re-playing them), then eventually learnt to read music - to the point where I could mostly play by sight.  This was back in the 90's though, I'd probably fuck up Chopsticks nowadays.

Thanks for the rest of the ideas, will take a look.

I guess in the end I really just want to be able to do this: :D :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE</a>

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

One of the best all round guitar groups who have strong melodies that a beginner can play and will develop good discipline is 'the shadows', dodger would approve of them I think. Easy to play badly, impossible to play it like Hank B Marvin

Many years ago I bought a Les Paul (which I still have) and got lessons for a while.  My teacher said the same thing - so we worked on (massacred more like it) The Shadows.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

You're right, you need to learn the basics from someone who does it best, the Shadows were one of the best, you wouldn't try to learn anything from Hendrix, thats his unique style but you can bet he could play straight 12 bar bliues and Shadows numbers if he wanted to because he had to be able to do that before he could move on to where he ended up.

If you can master the simple tasks you'll branch out from that and it'll be so much easier.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Just learned a mate of mines son is top of the Triple J chart for original stuff, he gets $500 for a 20 minute spot, think I'll put the band back togerther. :scratchchin:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok so after mentioning to my musician mate Im keen to learn guitar he brought this over for me:

(he still has my Korg 05R/W and Alesis Quadrasynth)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Just learned a mate of mines son is top of the Triple J chart for original stuff, he gets $500 for a 20 minute spot, think I'll put the band back togerther. :scratchchin:

I charge $500 for 20 mins too, but it can take up to a day of preparation.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I charge $500 for 20 mins too, but it can take up to a day of preparation.

I guess it would take you a while to get dressed -

Offline cel

I've played guitar for many years and learned a lot from playing nirvana songs when I started.

It's good to learn some basic chords to start with so your fingers can get used to the stretching and placement. It also feels like you're getting somewhere as soon as you play a combination of some chords.

At my first job I used my lunchbreaks to search for new tablature (as futurism mentioned earlier) and printed it all off and played it as soon as I got home.

There's tablature apps now as well