Offline 3gig4me

Hi guys,

I think a few of you might live in the Adelaide Hills so I thought I would ask the question here.  We are looking at buying a place in Mt Barker - a nice new place on 2174sq/m which will need landscaping, but its pretty well flat.  The house was built in 06 so it is fine.  It will be a fairly big change for us as we have been in the suburbs so to speak in both Adelaide and Brisbane, but with 2 small kids and maybe more on the way, we are both thinking that a bit of land with room for a pool and court, maybe a shed for toys/skids would be the way to make the place home for many years.

I guess I am just asking if anyone has any experience living in the area, the travel to the CBD each day for work, social life and if friends from the "flat" come up to visit much and so on.  Any tips on schools and facilities would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance
Greg

Offline CortinaD

My fiance grew up in Littlehampton so right next door.

Provided no one has broken down, the journey into town is 25/30 minutes at best. Going home its not to bad once you are on the freeway but getting out of town is a pain during peak hour.

Not to sure on schools but facilities such as the park accross the road from the main street is a great spot to relax on the weekends (I proposed to my woman there). Kids playing and occasionally some of the big boys take RC boats out there which is good fun to watch. If your keen for a few short drives (5-25 minutes), there are good places to eat at Hahndorf and you are pretty close to the motor museum etc.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I'm guessing it's kinda simliar to living where I do in Mt Eliza, relative to the Melb CBD....

I love it.

We went to the city last night for a show (Delta  :lovies:), but we really don't have to go that much, I can see it across the bay though  :thumbsup:

Certainly don't miss the cut throat city pace and expense... :cool:

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Mount barker is nice
never lived there but visit quite often
the cinema is really good if thats your thing, you have kids so im sure they go
lots of restaurants and things to do in and around the area
the adelaide hills markets move around to a different place nearby every weekend, stirling is probably the biggest one and is just up the road

mount barker is a really fast growing area, the amount of new houses that appear in the development by the freeway each time I go past never ceases to amaze
the freeway into the city is great, no tolls

as far as people visiting, I think id be more likely to visit someone in mount barker than any of the outer suburbs, its probably quicker to get to and a hell of a lot nicer

Offline waz356

Not too sure about the new housing developments in the hills. A little to "Golden Grove" for me. There's one at Nairne that's aweful. Mt Barker seems nice enough. A lot of younger people live in and around the area but I'm not sure about the newer developments.

Getting into and out of town is no big deal depending on where you work. I'm in Stirling and work at Kidman Park (near the airport) and it's 30 minutes including dropping the mrs off in the city. It's a great feeling to get on the freeway and get out of the suburbs and into villiage life.

You'll find it faster and easier to get to placese than if you lived north or south of the city. However, people will be less likley to visit because of the perceived distance.

And then of course there's the driving in the hills...  :thumbsup:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've got a mate who lives near Hahndorf and he reckons Mt Barker is a welfare town with high teenage pregnancies and youth unemployment issues.  This might be inter-town snobbery though although others have told me that Mt Barker has some "social challenges".   

All FWIW of course...

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

We lived 5 kms outside of Hahndorf for 18 years. Great time and the drive to and from Adelaide is nice as you get 10 ~ 15 minutes of easy drive without lights.

I would often drive through Mylor via Cherry Gardens and Blackwood to Edwardstown when I felt like a blast. It would take around the same time as the freeway but much nicer drive.

Offline 3gig4me

Thanks for the replies so far.  The house is in one of the estates near the freeway, and all of them have at least 2,000 sq/m blocks, so there is plenty of room between us and the neighbours.  Its also at least $500k to get in there, so that should rule out the "welfare" type people, who I imagine would live in the older and cheaper areas.  Although there would be no avoiding them at the shops/cinema etc.  But whatever, most places have a mix of people I guess.

The more we think about it the more we like the idea of semi-rural type living, yet within 30km of almost everything.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

At the Bi Lo (now Coles) in Mt Barker one Saturday morning and there was a Silver Diablo parked amongst all the other cars.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

At the Bi Lo (now Coles) in Mt Barker one Saturday morning and there was a Silver Diablo parked amongst all the other cars.

Bogan's driving Lambos now?????