Offline Iggy_Type_R

Hi people I am curious if anyone knows someone who can set up an online gaming parlour in one of my shops? I already have al the PCs and all, just need to install the games, set it all up so a user can just jump on and play and network everything so that you can administer from the central PC.
thanks in advance :)

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I'm not the person to do it however -

What type of games? Do you have suitably specced machines for battlefield 3 etc?
Do you have the licenses for the games?
Are you wanting lan play only or to allow clans to play against other clans somewhere else in the world?

The central administration requirement suggests you are looking at hosting servers, some games have dedicated linux servers, others anyone running the game can host.

or perhaps you want to administer the time users spend on the pc so they have pre paid for time and it auto reminds then locks them out of their session etc

I haven't played games in net cafes before but have done work, the most important thing is the chair!

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
As futurism said, there's a bit more to it then just networking the PCs and connecting them to the web so make sure that who ever sets it up know what they are doing.

Check out software like Smartlaunch to control and manage the PCs in your shop.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

And you will need a pretty serious Pipe to the outside world as well, or it's gunna Lag like a fat chick on a fun run.......

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Thanks for the heads up ppl :) It's for internet gaming like WoW, COD, etc. Basically I am converting this business www.golftec.com.au into a gaming centre at night (using 4m screens and bean bags as "chairs").

I simply want to manage the time and $ from a central PC... may be able to use our existing software for that though... but just need someone to set up the network properly so there is no lag and all that. Advise on bandwidth, etc.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
the no lag aspect should be fairly straightforward, but takes some dedication to the cause

make sure you have only one switch for the gaming pc's, with direct ethernet cable runs to each pc, no little switches or hubs anywhere in between
keep all other ip devices off of it (printers, voip phones, wireless routers, coke machines, eftpos, security systems, cameras etc)

Then you will want a good router which allows filtering and complex port forwarding for all the different ports online game servers use, this is the tricky part to manage. Dont be cheap with the router, some of the home style ones lock up when lots of ports and connections are used. Online games seem to love using a vast combination of strange ports.

It would be far better to keep people off the general internet on this network, otherwise torrenting and youtube and whatever else people might try and do will cause headaches, hence dedicated games machines that use only the games ports would be best, in windows you can set up TCP/IP filtering for the NIC itself, which will also hugely reduce the potential for viruses etc. You can push this out via group policy if you know what you are doing and want to go down the path of active directory.

It might be worthwhile having another connection to the internet and a separate physical network for general internet pc's and wifi to use, which has some additional benefits, as you would then have simple manual redundancy.

If either adsl/fibre/MAN/frame link went down (and assuming it wasnt the cabling into your building at fault), you could simply pull the router for the bad service out of the effected switch, and plug that switch into the other networks switch.
During that time you would be sharing dedicated gaming and general internet links but at least it would 'work'

The actual connection you get is a bit hard to spec, upload is as important as download, so the cheapest would be BDSL. I dont think you would need a huge pipe, but some games download maps to all servers as the round of the game starts.

Thats my amateur advice, im not a networking engineer but have lots of 'enterprise' experience in big companies that sort of translates to what you are doing

Offline Iggy_Type_R

the no lag aspect should be fairly straightforward, but takes some dedication to the cause

Thats my amateur advice, im not a networking engineer but have lots of 'enterprise' experience in big companies that sort of translates to what you are doing

AWESOME post... :) thank you! I used to understand this speak back in the day... I started working in building enterprise networks when I was 15... but since I moved into "management" I don't know shit and just yell at people who do...  :thumbsup:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

lol - that is 3rd semester Networking theory!!!

Offline CortinaD

Just use Cisco and make it easy and robust. Forget configuring stuff at the computers