Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Condolences to all. :(

One of my good mates with cancer is currently in the news alot recently, as he is fighting to legalize medical marijuana, he is only 24. His father used to be in the drug squad.

He has been on Channel 10's the Project, interviewed by Alan Jones last week and appeared in alot of the major papers. His full story will appear on Channel 7's Sunday night this weekend.

Sorry to hear that, a friend of mine had plan to set up a marijuana retreat where people in his position could go.......just a plan though.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
I'm not yet 30 and I've lost a couple of friends. The first was a car accident in the desert. Nicest guy in the world. We all still miss him, and it's been over ten years. A week before he died we were at the pub and he bought me a beer with the words "no worries - when I get back to Adelaide, you buy the first round!" but I never saw him again. A couple of years ago some friends and I drove into the desert, to the spot he died, and drank a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale on his behalf. We laughed and we cried. It helped.

The second friend to die was a good friend who died from pancreatic cancer in his mid 20's. He lived a good life but didn't abuse himself - he drank a bit, smoked a bit, ate well, worked out regularly, played sport, and was absolutely hilarious. Before he died he gave me some advice which I'm taking to heart: Live happy. Do what you want, when you want, so long as you don't hurt anyone else. Life is short... have fun.

If it weren't for his words I'd be the most boring person in the world, and I'd have followed "the plan" of university, wife, kids, retire, die. When someone who knows they are dying tells me to have more fun I take it to heart and now I can say I've lived on a tropical island, I've been trapped inside a collapsing shipwreck, scuba dived with bull sharks, have met some awesome people, I have a global rather than local view of life, I've done some pretty awesome things, and I'm engineering my life to be more fun and less stressful. It's taken some sacrifices but I wouldn't change anything - except I want my friend back. Both of them.

Friends dying isn't easy. It sucks. The best thing you can do is to live a better life on their behalf, however that may be. Think of the good times and laugh - it's much more fun than being miserable :)