Offline Paulstar

June 14th Russia indicates it will not propose a no fly zone
http://english.cntv.cn/2014/06/04/ARTI1401875256063883.shtml

And then this, claiming the US FAA banned US planes going over eastern Ukraine http://www.businessinsider.com.au/warnings-about-ukrainian-airspace-prior-to-mh17-crash-2014-7

The usual flight route was earlier declared safe by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. International Air Transportation Association has stated that the airspace the aircraft was traversing was not subject to restrictions.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/mh17.html

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

maybe, but thousands of planes every week fly through there, as well as over Iraq, Afghanistan etc...
who knows

Well if they can save fuel  :rolleyes:

MAL are very popular, they're cheap and have been reliable, but have they just been lucky ? has their luck run out ?

With about 600 killed in recent times you have to wonder,  I wouldn't feel comfortable flying with them right now, everyone will be waiting for the 3rd incident.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Lets just hope it won't serve as an excuse for the US or any other powerful nation to flex military muscle.

No Yanks on board so unlikely - errrr just noticed unverified. :scratchchin:
Nationals on board MH17
•Netherlands: 154
•Malaysia: 43 (including 15 crew and 2 infants)
•Australia: 27
•Indonesia: 12 (including 1 infant)
•UK: 9
•Germany: 4
•Belgium: 4
•Philippines: 3
•Canada: 1
•Unverified: 41
Source: Malaysia Airlines

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Conspiracy theorists are suggesting the USA shot it down to frame the Russians, hence the choice of a jet with no Americans in board.

Note: I don't subscribe to such theories

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Conspiracy theorists are suggesting the USA shot it down to frame the Russians, hence the choice of a jet with no Americans in board.

Note: I don't subscribe to such theories

I just heard there were 23 Americans on board....don't know if it's true.

Offline Paulstar

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

There was certainly some likelihood of fault in the first one as the crew didn't report an unauthorised cockpit visit at the invitation of one of the pilots on an earlier flight. This suggests a poor safety culture.

This recent event certainly doesn't look like the fault of MAS but the combined effect of the two incidents should be enough to kill the airline.

As much as we may not want want to hear hear this, but unauthorised cockpit visits occur in in a number of airlines, including Qantas. Last week two girls got into the cockpit of an American Airlines plane I was on and it happened right  in front of me.

The plane was not in restricted airspace and many other airlines were flying the same route too.

It's such a tragedy... As far as I'm concerned this is as good as murder but am sceptical anything or anyone will be held accountable.

I may be biased, but Malaysia Airlines is a good airline. Compared to so many others that I've flown on, they're certainly up there for comfort, in flight service and other factors. It's not right  to blame the airline for this, but inevitably many will pass judgement against them.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I may be biased, but Malaysia Airlines is a good airline. Compared to so many others that I've flown on, they're certainly up there for comfort, in flight service and other factors. It's not right  to blame the airline for this, but inevitably many will pass judgement against them.

Agreed

and their satays are to die for